Scott Spark replacment shock?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bikorexia

by Bikorexia

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

adgem1

by adgem1

Tsielio wrote:
adgem1 wrote:I rode my spark today with the new Fox rp23 shock with push conversion and it is awsome ,cant see how rear suspension can get any better than that.I have also updated my 2007 sid world cups for 09 sid world cups and they are a big improvmant aswell .

What do you mean with this?
Does fox shock already exist with lockout on bars?
You didn't even try the standard Scott Nude Shock?

No ,I didnt have the lockout lever ,so sold shock on ebay and bought the fox ,it is awsome

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

adgem1 wrote:
Tsielio wrote:
adgem1 wrote:I rode my spark today with the new Fox rp23 shock with push conversion and it is awsome ,cant see how rear suspension can get any better than that.I have also updated my 2007 sid world cups for 09 sid world cups and they are a big improvmant aswell .

What do you mean with this?
Does fox shock already exist with lockout on bars?
You didn't even try the standard Scott Nude Shock?

No ,I didnt have the lockout lever ,so sold shock on ebay and bought the fox ,it is awsome

I agree too! So far the best upgrade I have done to my Spark (at least for my style of riding)!

beatnik

by beatnik

The rear suspension can be better with a 3 positions shox, Open-Propedal-Lock. That´s all, but Fox doesn´t make it because it´s patented.
Biomechanical spreadsheet. Sizing&Fitting.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Tsielio

by Tsielio

so fox has only open and propedal? no full lock option so far?
open for spark = 110mm
how much is the propedal? same as traction mode? 70mm?

Bikorexia

by Bikorexia

No lockout so far. You have to choose beetwen 3 platform presets (adjustable off the bike) all use the same travel. Then you have option to switch beetwen open and propedal via remote control on handlebar.I've heard fox will enable 3 "pushloc"option next season open-propedal-lockout but I can't confirm that.
Last edited by Bikorexia on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adgem1

by adgem1

when I rode the bike sunday I found I didnt even think about lockout on the shock, as it hardly moves when you get out of saddle and sprint

Tsielio

by Tsielio

Bikorexia wrote:No lockout so far. You have to choose beetwen 3 platform presets (adjustable off the bike) all use the same travel. Then you have option to switch beetwen open and propedal via remote control on handlebar.I've heard fox will enable 3 "pushloc"option next season open-propedal-lockout but I can't confirm that.

Is this already available for fox? What does it look like? Pics?
On my Scott Nude i only use 110/70, locked position only on the road.
Ciao

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

We have to be clear on one thing...ProPedal is not the same as the lockout on the OEM Spark shock. The Dt Swiss Nude on the Stock Spark is adjutable only for the total amount of travel, not how sensitive and/or active is the shock. So either in 100 or 70 mm of travel the shock characteristics are still the same. ProPedal provides a fine tuning of how the shock reacts to different grades of suspesion travel. For sprinting on the Dt Swiss Nude you would need to go to full lock while on the Fox you only need to set on one of the Propedal settings with the benefit that Propedal will provide suspension travel in case of a bigger hit, no need to switch to open mode.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

Tsielio wrote:so fox has only open and propedal? no full lock option so far?
open for spark = 110mm
how much is the propedal? same as traction mode? 70mm?

No, it's a different system. Propedal adds compression damping, but doesn't limit travel.
Graham

beatnik

by beatnik

Having that light and fast bullet without lock is a sin, but imo is would be worst without propedal.

Triad system is patented for Specialiced bikes in 2004 (like Brain), no other shox in the market offers same performance, control and speed. A very bad new for all rear suspension in the market that must choose between DT (no propedal) or RP23 (no lock).

jmartpr
Shop Owner

by jmartpr

Well an option to have it almost full lock with RP23 would be to use Propedal #3 with slightly higher pressure. Need to go downhill? Just flick the lever to open.

ww4

by ww4

Another alternative is the RockShox Monarch. The review seems to be good from Cyclingnews, see link below. However, I do notice most Full suspension bike brand sold with FOX shock RP series, you could say almost bike manufacturer tend to use FOX rear shock, wonder why?

http://www.cyclingnews.com.au/tech.php? ... arch_dec08

beatnik

by beatnik

Because they are the best shox and forks available

Tiffster

by Tiffster

I think you'd get a loooooong debat about Fox being the best - certainly from what ive read on some forums reliability of them is awefull, seals going, stancions wearing, bushings having play in them from new to name but a few.

If you look at Santa Cruz - some of there new bikes are equiped with Monarchs. There's a couple of other brands using them too. Theres been a couple of reveiws in UK mags saying its a RP23 Equal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com