New Hugi 240s Hubs with Shimano center lock

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Check it out...the new Hugi 240s disc hubs are available with the shimano center lock for the XTR rotors. Much lighter than the XTR hubs!!!

http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseac ... tail&id=21

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knut

by Knut

Yeah, makes me wish I had'nt bought the XTR hubs already... :?

polaris

by polaris

I'm afraid I don't see the advantage over a standard 6bolt hub and rotor myself.

But its good to see the big S won't have a complete monopoly on screw-on disc hubs.
.....but it still has to work!

Knut

by Knut

...there's plenty of advantage here. First it's easy on/off, only one place to fasten. Second it looks good... :D

On the downside you'll need special equipment for trailside repairs - which is not optimal...

Shimano does have monopoly on this, but has licensed it to DT contrary to their first statements. I guess they also see the advantages of spreading the technology...

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

If you want to talk about advantages, look no further than the weight aspect. The new 240s hubs are lighter than the 240 6 bolt disc hubs and are lighter than the King ISO hubs. Plus the XTR rotor is lighter than the XT rotor (which you must run if you want to use the XTR calipers and a 6-bolt hub).

Additionally the 240s is also lighter than the only other center-lock option out there....the Shimano XTR hub.

polaris

by polaris

Going to need some better arguments to convince me I'm afraid.

1) Its easy on off? Since when have allen bolts caused a problem? How often do you remove your rotors anyway?

2) It looks good? No, one piece rotors look good. Although I'll concede that this is a matter of opinion.

3) Special equipment necessary!

4) Weight. Admittedly there is a saving to be made using a centrelock - a good thing. But only if you insist on using XTR brakes...

Also, the big S doesn't have a monopoly if it has licensed the rights to DT. The main driver being the cash they got for the license.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I do agree with some of your points Polaris, but answer some of your questions:

1. Talk to a mechanic, they will tell you the new XTR rotors are much easier to deal with verses a 6-bolt. But regardless of this, it's really not that big of a deal. I don't really see it as much if any of an advantage.

2. Looks - I didn't bring that one up.... I agree, it's a matter of opinion and certainly not an advantage.

3. Special equiptment needed - certainly not an advantage. But if your running the 2003/4 XTR crank set you use the same splined pulling tool for the rotor. But again.....big deal.

4. Weight - this is the big hitter. I agree with your point that the weight savings is if you want to run the XTR rotor. But look at it this way...the XTR rotor is one of the lightest around, the XTR calipers are one of the lightest around and the shifter/brake combo is just plain awsome. So if you want the benifits of the whole package you have only two options...run the XTR hubs or the new Hugi hubs. So overall weight advantage if your want to run XTR goes heavily to the new hugi's.

So look at it this way.....if you want to build up a really light wheel set you have several options. Build it with a heavier 6-bolt hub (there are no 6-bolt hubs out there right now that are lighter than the Hugi 240s) and then put a heavier rotor on it than the XTR's or go the lighter road.

I guess I would ask why would you do something different than this?

polaris

by polaris

So the real advantage is weight, which admittedly is why we're all here!

The problem I feel is that the XTR is not the lightest brake out there (although hard to compare) and necessitates the use of the shifter/brake lever combo.

Although I'm sure it will become ubiquitous, I still have my reservations about the combo. Mainly from years of using standard shifters and liking their action.

Also, they're not exactly practical on a singlespeed are they?! :)

Knut

by Knut

You can use XT levers with your XTR calipers - endorsed by Shimano even...

I've been very happy with the new XTR brake/shift combo - after a few missed shifts on the first ride it works like a charm and I never miss a shift. Can't say that about the Grip Shift I've tried a few times...

bladteth

by bladteth

The weight difference between Hugi IS and Centerlock hubs is (partially) due to left flange diameter. Smaller flange in Centerlock hub translates to more stressed spokes. The mounting system itself will also be stressed more because of smaller arm of the "braking" moment.
Best regards,
Rado bladteth Rzeznicki

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com