Pace RC31 forks, a good upgrade?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanBB19

by DanBB19

hi all you weight weenies!!

I'm thinking of buying the pace31 fork, seems like it's the best rigid fork out there, is it?? at present i have a Kinesis Maxlight rigid fork it weighs around 930 grams, quite a bit heavier than the pace. The main reason i want to upgrade is for ride quality though, i use my bike on road a lot and run 1" slicks on it, and that fork gives such a rough ride, really jarring on the wrists, the bike shakes and shudders over the crap british roads!! so would the pace smooth things out a bit, while still giving a stiff feel, with minimal power loss?

Thanx for any advice!

Schibbl

by Schibbl

The Pace is a really nice lookung fork. It's really stiff, too. :D The damping quality is not that bad, but considered to the characteristics carbon fiber has, it is not as good. :shock: The fork behave rough on gravel and cobblestone pavement. There are some better choices for comfortable carbon forks on road bikes. But I can't remember a good one for MTB. You can get the same stiffness and comfort of the Pace by choosing a butted cromoly steel fork. This will be a cheaper way to more 'rigid' comfort. Ask your bike dealer for a Kona or Spot fork. They are really good and look nice too. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nikh

by nikh

You could try Spicer cycles they have a nice range including a Ti fork.

http://www.spicercycles.com/index.cgi?c ... _cat=Forks

DanBB19

by DanBB19

Thanx for the advice guys!! :D hmm i really don't know what to get, or whether i should just stick with my Kinesis forks. The pace forks look amazing and will shed like 250 grams of the bike, but if there not going to offer more comfort then i don't know if its worth it :?:

I don't know if i can get any of the spicer forks in Britain :(

by Guest

DanBB19 wrote:Thanx for the advice guys!! :D hmm i really don't know what to get, or whether i should just stick with my Kinesis forks. The pace forks look amazing and will shed like 250 grams of the bike, but if there not going to offer more comfort then i don't know if its worth it :?:

I don't know if i can get any of the spicer forks in Britain :(

The Pace forks do absorb a lot of the bumps just run a wider tire for some added absorption.
You could also try MAGMAA Titanium in Europe for Ti forks.
There might be some Morati Ti rigid forks still for sale in the classifieds on MTBR.com
I'm in the US and can help you out if they won't ship, just let me know.

nikh

by nikh

DOH! That was me posting above!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com