Starting weight reduction .....

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Stevie Boi

by Stevie Boi

Wheels, tyres, tybes and forks would make a big difference. By reducing the rotating mass your bike will accelerate mch quicker and be easier to handle on technicla climbs and step ups etc.

I recently got a set of Hope XCs on Mavic 618 rims and they are considerably lighter, they cost me 77£ for a front and its probably about £100-110 for a rear, but mavic dont make them anymore... try the 517s as they are also light. Maxxis flyweigt tubes are only 82g each and fairly puncture proof. Maxxis Flyweight 330 tyres are extremely lightweight but you'll get lots of punctures with them, the Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8" are 550g each and cost £40 a pair.

As for forks, a set of Manitou Skarebs maybe? You can get them for a around £250 I think on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

As for a seatpost and saddle... Easton EC70 carbon post is light and the Selle Italia SLR saddle is very light. An M2Racer seat clamp is only 8 grams!

Stevie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

Stevie Boi wrote:Wheels, tyres, tybes and forks would make a big difference. By reducing the rotating mass your bike will accelerate mch quicker and be easier to handle on technicla climbs and step ups etc.

I recently got a set of Hope XCs on Mavic 618 rims and they are considerably lighter, they cost me 77£ for a front and its probably about £100-110 for a rear, but mavic dont make them anymore... try the 517s as they are also light. Maxxis flyweigt tubes are only 82g each and fairly puncture proof. Maxxis Flyweight 330 tyres are extremely lightweight but you'll get lots of punctures with them, the Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8" are 550g each and cost £40 a pair.

As for forks, a set of Manitou Skarebs maybe? You can get them for a around £250 I think on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

As for a seatpost and saddle... Easton EC70 carbon post is light and the Selle Italia SLR saddle is very light. An M2Racer seat clamp is only 8 grams!

Stevie

Stevie,

I've used Maxxiss flyweight tubes too. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are "puncture proof". You dont get "puncture proof" with lightweight tubes. I haven't noticed any more punctures with maxxiss tubes than std tubes.

Rather than an EC70 CF post, I'd recommend a USE Alien carbon post. for max weight loss, go for a 25mm post with shim. I shim to fit a 34.9mm frame, no problems.

550g tyres are heavy. For nobblies go for Nokian NBX lite 2.0 (more like 1.9s IRL).
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

Sandal

by Sandal

vinny71 wrote:looking at starting up front with a change of bars and stem ...got the following in mind....

X-Lite XLR Carbon Pro Bar for £50 (170grms)
FSA XC115 Stem for £45 (130 grms)
Ritchey True Grip WCS (40grms)

Other items I'd like to change are :-
Saddle and Seatpost...ideas welcolme
Bottom Bracket....ideas welcolme
Wheelset.....ideas welcolme

don't go for "intermidiary components" (like 170g bar), which you'll need to change again over some time. reasonably-light flatbar limit is about 125g. and, say, 200g for a post. you get the idea, right. :)

don't change the wheels yet. start only with tyres (450-max500 is reasonable IMO), and if you don't ride mud, you can even go with flyweights; then tubes+light flipper (100g per wheel) or notubes kit. less rotational wight will make you bike more nimble immediately. :)

i suggest buying a new wheelset only together with the disk brakes. but let it be already a REAL good set like hugis+revs+717d or something of that kind.

later then, i'd go with pedals and may be the fork.

and let a skinny hard carbon saddle be the last upgrade on your bike :wink: or you may start associating weightweenies principles with those of ascetics. :shock: :lol:

cheers
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!