Sella Italia SLR - Comfy?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Danbb19

by Danbb19

What are people's opinions on this saddle? i need a new saddle as one of the rails on my previous one snapped. How comfortable is SLR saddle? (im quite light 145lbs, is that makes any difference?) I was thinking of using the SLR for 2-3 rides, and another one i have which is well padded but heavy for endurance jobs. I've noticed quite a few of the bikes on here have the SLR so it must be pretty good.

Thanx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Knut

by Knut

I use the SLR Basic (135grams) on my hardtail and I find it quite comfortable even for longer, up to 75 kilometers, rides over rock, hardpack, gravel etc. The Ti rails and a Easton EC70 carbon seatpost soaks up a lot of the smaller bumps and over more rough terrain I find myself standing up anyways.

If you find yourself chrashing a lot you may find that the edges won't hold up since the leather is quite thin...

I highly and happily recommend the SLR Basic! 8)

danbb19

by danbb19

Hey Great stuff, i think thats the saddle for me then!!

cheers for the information

Knut

by Knut

Forgot to mention that I actually witnessed a SLR cracking up yesterday. :( I believe that it cracked where the rail meets the shell. Anyway, I'll still recommend the SLR since it works for me... :)

skogling

by skogling

The XLR XP is indeed comfortable. I ride the 165 g 2004 modell which weights in at 156 g. The matter is'n if it is comfy rather than how confy it is.
I find it EXTREMLY comfortable an I recommend it.

//Patrik :lol:

the_bill

by the_bill

I ride a SLR on my cannondale scalpel. I ride Cross Country and some long marathons (+100 km) and I love it. It's more comfy than my sella italia flite tt, because the SLR has a little more flex in it.
At first I thought it would be to weak, but it really holds fine (and it has taken quite some beating...) and it's way more comfortable than it looks...

Look around on ebay and get a used one cheap to try it.

Grt Bas
ride it all - all the time
Cannondale Scalpel 3000 - SRAM X.0 - FRM FL-M 12 - Formula Oro Puro
http://www.newconceptbiking.nl

Tippster

by Tippster

Danbb19 wrote:What are people's opinions on this saddle? i need a new saddle as one of the rails on my previous one snapped. How comfortable is SLR saddle? (im quite light 145lbs, is that makes any difference?) I was thinking of using the SLR for 2-3 rides, and another one i have which is well padded but heavy for endurance jobs. I've noticed quite a few of the bikes on here have the SLR so it must be pretty good.

Thanx

From just the "look" of the SLR is donesn't appear to be comfy. I've put between 6k and 8k miles on my SLR. Very comfy. Dont underestimate the comfort a quality pair of shorts offers too. I use Endura MT500 shorts and also Endura 3/4 bib tights. Both with well padded inserts.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com