The best lightweight discbrakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nikh

by nikh

An upgrade for you Hope users...

Here is the prototype for a carbon lever and resovier cover for the Hope mono brakes. It's made by Poshbikes for Eurobike and they are stille developing on it. It's on a custom 7.1 kg Storck hardtail. It will be posted on poshbikes.com, when it's available.

With this upgrade and combinedwith the new Hope Alu rotors...a new light weight disc contender?
Attachments
hope.jpg
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

Jean-Paul

by Jean-Paul

yes,

it will be very light!

The magura is light but will give problems as i have mentioned in this article. I would advice not using aluminium rotors as they will wear (very!)
fast, even with special brake pads. the carbon cap and brake lever is a good idea
A cannondale rides faster than anything else. Just want to let you know:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Smahatma

by Smahatma

As much as my marta SL's, I must say that the lever pressure point is true. I have had a set on for about a year and a half and the lever for the front brake engages with slightly more lever travel than the rear brake. Perhaps a drain and refill will fix it?

Tib

by Tib

nikh wrote:An upgrade for you Hope users...

Here is the prototype for a carbon lever and resovier cover for the Hope mono brakes. It's made by Poshbikes for Eurobike and they are stille developing on it. It's on a custom 7.1 kg Storck hardtail. It will be posted on poshbikes.com, when it's available.

With this upgrade and combinedwith the new Hope Alu rotors...a new light weight disc contender?

I've sawn it at the Eurobike show, and I questionned Poshbikes by mail, but these spare parts are not for sale... only some Ti bolts kit for disc rotors.
Never give up... never surrender !

Jean-Paul

by Jean-Paul

It is true that you can get problems. this happens with all magura discbrakes. you can't solve this by just bleeding the system. what you can do is the following. mount a new brake lever, only this can solve the problem. BUT: after some time you'll get the same problem. now every one understands because i'm not a magura fan?
A cannondale rides faster than anything else. Just want to let you know:D

Tib

by Tib

Hope Mono Mini's for many months... no problem, powerful, amazing !

But not as light as a Marta... it will be the case in a few months !
Attachments
Frein AV Hope Mono Mini Complet.JPG

kutikura

by kutikura

is there going to be any complications if i run 160mm rotors for the hope mono mini at the rear? coz hope rotors usually is 160mm front n 140 rear...

and if i am to use the xtr centrelock hubs, i have to use shimano rotors instead, am i right on this?

Tib

by Tib

It's full compatible.

I've got Mono Mini's 160 front AND rear. And for the rotors, Shimano XTR Center Lock 160 mm rotor or Marta SL 160 mm rotor are compatible with Hope without any problem.

You can !

LloydP

by LloydP

i think DTSwiss make an adaptor so you can use any 6-bolt rotors with centrelock hubs, so you could put a 140 on the rear if you wanted (or bigger, i suppose)

Tib

by Tib

It's real that the adaptator DT is still available.

the_taaboo

by the_taaboo

Hi there,
why did you only talk only about Hope Minis and Monos? If you would like to have a light diskbreak, you must have the diverent Formulars on the plan.

I realy could recommend them, I ride them since two years. In 2001 I start with the old XT, which was ok by the break power but not with the weight. I switch to Formular 4Racing XC in the front (185 Rotor) and B4 on rear (140 Rotor). Both on an Adrenalin Team.
I never had problems with the rear break, equal if you trailing 300-400 meter elevation gain in only 1 KM.

But if you choose this rearbreak, please keep in mind that the break comes to their limit by using Fat Alberts, wich I drove in the Training season...the grip is so much incredible higher then the normal used Michelin Comp S light.

Cheers
Taaboo

buzacsi

by buzacsi

what would the weight comparison be between hope mono mini's and say a deore lever with an XTR caliper, not taking into account hoses and rotors

Dave

by Dave

I have about 8 hours or so of hard trail riding with lots of downhill trails on XTR dual control hydraulics. I am not impressed. I had Hayes hydraulics on my Trek 2400 hardtail. I was impressed.

IanB

by IanB

nikh wrote:An upgrade for you Hope users...

:shock: I've got to get some of these! They may not weigh a great deal less than the (nicely) CNC'd standard levers, but they look like the mutts nuts 8) Interesting to note the lever profile of different though. (also note the use of thumbshifters on the bike in the picture - its the way to go :thumbup: )

back on topic, I'd rate the mono minis. Not the lightest (at least for the moment), but I have used the mono's (and standard mini's) for several years with no problems at all. If you're worried about stopping power, look at upgrading to goodridge hoses (a little extra weight for loads more power and feel). The one-piece caliper of the mono-minis is the main improvement they made which reduces caliper flex to a minimal amount. As a result I find that 160/140mm mono-mini stop me as well as my 185/165mm set of standard ones. My mono-minis are 368g & 360g front and rear respectively, fully tuned with alu/ti bolts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ozzy

by ozzy

Take a look at this site,maybe it helps
http://userportal.iha.dk/~20033774/THE- ... _setup.htm

from me i can only add that you can ask your local CNC shop to make a copy of the Formula discs but with centerlock fitting so you can use DT SWISS Hugi240 Centerlock(which is lighter then 6-bolts)with Dt swiss Aero light spokes and x717 rims.Plus don't forget about price, marta's is ok but they cost around 550 euro when XTR list price is 240 plus 60 for XT levers-about 250 euro cheaper.

One of the main problems with the new Shimano XTR disc brake is, that it comes
either with the new center lock rotor, that weigh 139g a piece including the
lockring, or with the XT 6-bolt rotor, that weigh 126grams without bolts (16g).
Futhermore you have to buy the XTR shift/brake unit.
To our luck, the XT disc brake lever (BLM-756) is compatible with the XTR
calibers, so by using this, you can also use the brake with SRAM products or the
old Shimano rapidfire shifters. But still one of the main problems for weight-
weenies with this brake is, that the weight is somewhat more that both the
Formula B4sl or the Magura Marta brake.
Hopefully there is a solution to this, because all parts of the XTR disc brake are
available seperately. By using a front disc brake caliber on the rear, you can use a
140mm rotor, and save some weight. I have used the Formula B4sl rotors, which
is among the lightest steel rotors on the marked. The front 160mm rotor weigh in
at 110g and the rear 140mm rotor 87g. By using aluminium bolts at the rotors,
there is alone on the rotors saved 75g compared to Shimano XT rotors with steel
bolts. Then by using M6x15 aluminium bolts on the calibers and on the levers,
there is another 20g saved. And finally a front caliber is 2g lighter than a rear caliber.
So by using this setup you can save 97g and still have the same brake power as
with the original parts.
All the specified weights can be found under the part pictures pages.

Here is the rundown:

Regular setup

Weight (g)
Shimano XTR calibers 186
Caliber bolts (4pcs. M6x15 steel) 22
Shimano XT 6-bolt rotors (160mm/160mm) 252
Rotor bolts (12pcs. M5x10 steel) 32
Front cable with bolt and fittings (70cm) 30
Rear cable with bolt and fittings (125mm) 43
Shimano XT levers with 2pcs. M6x15 steel bolts 246
Total 811

Lightweight setup