eclipse vs. stan's

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mpap89

by mpap89

i saw a thing on the internet about the eclipse tubeless system. how does it compare to stan's?

nino

by nino

mpap89 wrote:i saw a thing on the internet about the eclipse tubeless system. how does it compare to stan's?

they both do the same:
seal a regular rim with a rubber rimstrip and by using a sealant they allow the use of regular tires as well as UST tires.

benefits:
-regular tires are much lighter than UST tires
-the sealant will seal almost any eventual puncture immediately - self sealing!
-lower rolling resistance (german magazines measured a much lower rollingresistance when using the Eclipse Tubelesskit)

-Stans rimstrips are heavier( 55g). the Eclipse Tubelesskit weighs 35g. that's the weights without sealant.

-Stans Tubelesskit is available for virtually all rims. it fits all.

Eclipse Tubelesskit does specific rimstrips for different rims (only XC-rims). they fit the rimbead perfectly and have that groove on top which helps gripping tires once inflated. that same groove is found on any UST rim and it is needed to prevent tires from unseating in extreme situations.

-Stans rimstrips go up on the inner sidewalls and virtually cover the rimhooks which tires need to get a good grip on the rims.

Eclipse Rimstrips are just sitting flat on the bottom of the rimbead and don't hinder the tire from gripping the rimhook.

-Stans vulcanized valves have a durability problem. we have seen many ripped off valves...Eclipse has separate valves that can't be ripped off.

-In case of a flat (which rarely happens though!) you have to remove Stans rimstrips completely and hopefully you have a regular rimstrip underneath otherwise a regular tube can't be used.

In case of a flat with the Eclipse Tubelesskit you simply unscrew the valve and put a inner tube.

-Stans supplies you with a big bottle of sealant which does several wheels.big plus here if you ride in warmer clima.

Eclipse comes with just 1 filling per kit. that's to make sure ALL the sealant gets used with all the needed ingredients. if you make a larger bottle like Stan you risk that the consumer uses too little or that the ingredients don't get in there in the correct mixture because they sink in the big bottle. this is no problem during the warmer periods of the year but in the winter you MUST HAVE the proper amount of anti-freeze in each filling. too little and it freezes, too much and it won't seal. I heard many complaints about Stans liquid when used in the winter...

-Stan offers the kit for all tires.

Eclipse says "UST-Tires" only because they are 100% working. some ultralight regular tires can make difficulties and need some extra care and setup which not any consumer has or knows how to.... that's why it says UST only. it works equally as well on regular tires though.

-DT Swiss offers the same Tubelesskit than Eclipse which should tell you a thing or two about the quality of the Eclipse product...

final conclusion:
both kits do an awesome job in offering a lighter and better Tubelesskit than UST. Both have won many, many Pro races with many famous riders. so they are both not just gimmicks but good performing products even under severe conditions like the worldcup.

Stans is cheaper, is available for all rims and you get more sealant.

Eclipse is lighter, better quality and easier to handle in case of a flat which racers will appreciate.
Attachments
strip_closeup.jpg
strip_closeup.jpg (4.97 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
Eclipseventil+band.jpg
Stan-failure.jpg
Last edited by nino on Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mulle

by Mulle

Now thats what I call a very good answer.

You know what - I'll order my own pair of Eclipse Tubeless Kits now... :D
Principia MSLe Pro 9543g
If you accidently had to, could your bike take a smaller downhill ?

zoey

by zoey

@ nino

:goodpost:
Cheers,
:lol:

"Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

Click Here to see my Scott CR1.

NRSJC

by NRSJC

I use Eclipse tublesskit for 2 years and no problem at all !
The combo Eclipse + NBX lite is very fast ! :wink:
Work hard and be light to go fast !
I wait for the next marathon race.

mpap89

by mpap89

nino should get the world weight weenie award. he's awsome
THanks for the info.

Smahatma

by Smahatma

mpap89 wrote:nino should get the world weight weenie award. he's awsome
THanks for the info.

he works for eclipse (hence all the information) and necessarily has a bias towards them

nino

by nino

Smahatma wrote:
THanks for the info.

he works for eclipse (hence all the information) and necessarily has a bias towards them

wrong.

the founder of Eclipse is my best friend and through him i'm involved from the beginning but i don't work for Eclipse nor do i get one cent from them.

sure i am biased but i think my post was as neutral and informative as it can be. i know both products and i know what peoples experiences are with both so that's what i wrote about them.

it's really as simple as that:
both work but Stans is cheaper and Eclipse is lighter and better quality (by the way, it's 100% swiss made).

Sebber

by Sebber

I have tried a mavic xm 819 with python air ust...the tracktion was awesome and nom i am hooked up to get a pair of ust wheelset, but I think they are a bit to heavier.
How is the Ecclipse-kit compared to traeditional ust-wheels - do you get the same tracktion at low airpressure?

Tippster

by Tippster

Thanks for the info.

how sweet. :frightened: Our first ww marriage? :twinkle:
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

JK

by JK

Sebber wrote:I have tried a mavic xm 819 with python air ust...the tracktion was awesome and nom i am hooked up to get a pair of ust wheelset, but I think they are a bit to heavier.
How is the Ecclipse-kit compared to traeditional ust-wheels - do you get the same tracktion at low airpressure?

You get way better traction at the same pressure. Non-UST tires are a lot thinner, thus form themselfs a lot better to the ground surface. If you pinch them with your fingers, they feel a lot softer than UST at the same pressure.

The choice is yours: You can get better grip at the same pressure with lower rolling resistance than the same tire in UST, or you can up the pressure, have the same grip and lower rolling resistance even more.

Sebber

by Sebber

JK wrote:
Sebber wrote:I have tried a mavic xm 819 with python air ust...the tracktion was awesome and nom i am hooked up to get a pair of ust wheelset, but I think they are a bit to heavier.

You get way better traction at the same pressure. Non-UST tires are a lot thinner, thus form themselfs a lot better to the ground surface. If you pinch them with your fingers, they feel a lot softer than UST at the same pressure.

The choice is yours: You can get better grip at the same pressure with lower rolling resistance than the same tire in UST, or you can up the pressure, have the same grip and lower rolling resistance even more.

So it is ok to put ust-tires on regular wheel and then you would get even lower rolling resistance and a ligther wheelsset than traditional ust-wheels

JK

by JK

Sebber wrote:So it is ok to put ust-tires on regular wheel and then you would get even lower rolling resistance and a ligther wheelsset than traditional ust-wheels

:? Erhm... the rolling resistance bit is a "no". It has nothing to do with the wheelset and everything about UST vs. non-UST tires.

I believe the real benefit is to be able to run non-UST tires without tubes, achieving light weight, low rolling resistance and lots of grip. Running Eclipse or Stan's on non-UST rims would offer the possibility of a building a lighter wheelset than standard UST wheelsets, but only if the rims are REALLY light. Like Stan's own rims. If given the choice for a normal light rim, like a 517 or DT 4.1 with the added grams of a rimstrip, I would save myself the hassle and go for UST rims. This would give me the option to mount standard UST tires, if I get sick and tired of messing around with the latex. Right now, the racing season is over, which is why I have put some heavy UST "put on and forget" tires on my UST wheels.

By the way: If the terrain you are biking on is very rocky, UST tires are the better option. Regular tires have too weak sidewalls for those conditions.

alain

by alain

If given the choice for a normal light rim, like a 517 or DT 4.1 with the added grams of a rimstrip, I would save myself the hassle and go for UST rims.

... but there will still be a difference of 300gr. (!!) only between two set of tyres (cf. Nokian NBX 2.0 + Eclipse compared to Nokian NBX UST). And it's easy to build a set of normal wheels based on 517 or XR4.1 that is lighter than any UST set. Even better, you may have the chance to pay for such a set half the price of a pair of Crossmax SL.

But I admit that if it wasn't for the money, I would have bought a pair of SL's. More simple to use. Easier to change between tyres depending on the race. And they look good.
Titanium rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sebber

by Sebber

By the way - what would be the lightest ust-wheelset...I am considering shimanos while they are lighter and cheaper than the SL's