Is this a SCAM!???

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stumpyracer

by stumpyracer

I found an "great" deal on a specialized epic 2004 full bike on ebay. But, the seller had a "prerequisite" that the buyer had to email the seller before being allowed to bid. After I asked the seller to be placed on this "special list," the seller removed the bike from eBay and emailed me that the bike is still available. This is the message he sent me:

As payment method i accept trough an escrow service for security reasons.This way,you will deposit the money to the escrow service,then i will make the shipping and after you will receive it you will inspect for 5 days .If you decide to keep it the escrow service will forward me the money or if not they will refund you the money in full.This is the escrow service we will use:www.continentallbusinesssolutions.com .I will pay the escrow charges.
Thank You and e-mail me asap !

I've asked him for the bike specs, and regardless of if I ask him for the cockpit components, he answers this:

This are the full specs:
Brand: Specialized
Model Year: 2004
Frame Material: Aluminum
Frame Size: 19 inches
Suspension: Full Suspension
Frame size = large.
Cables: Top of the line Gore Ride-on cables! These cables are $50! They have a lining that provides absolutely smooth shifting regardless of riding conditions.
FORK: Fox Forx F100X - this is the latest fork from Fox and includes the inertia valve to match the rear Fox Brain shock. NOTE: This fork is disc specific - no unsightly canti-mounts to put plugs in -- very clean looking.
WHEELS: Custom made Dave's Speed Dream Wheels. These are simply the best wheels you can buy. Includes American Classic Disc Hub, on Valiant rims, with red anodized nipples. This wheel/tire/Stans tubeless set-up saves significant weight over stock set-up. TIRES: Kenda Karma Pro 3R. These tires are receiving rave reviews and are very light. NOTE: I have this bike set-up with Stan's Tubeless system - this system has been flawless. (if buyer prefers, I will gladly install tubes).
FULL XTR!
XTR Crank
XTR Disc Brakes
XTR Front and Rear Derailures
XTR Cassette
XTR Chain
XTR Shifters

I'm concerned because his english is not up to par....and that he took the item off of eBay. His eBay seller ID is christykevin, has anyone heard of him or done business with him before? He has well over 1000 feedback on eBay...ohhhh boy. Any suggestions?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Extralight

by Extralight

I've been lurking a while and your post prompted me to register. I do a lot of stuff though ebay. The ad for the Epic is a scam....somehow people can get access to someone else's ebay account....usually it is an account with a high rating. They always list great items for buy-it-now and ask that you replay to a certain email to preregister. One easy way to usually tell is that the seller's rating is transactions very different than what you are buying. The other clue is if it is too good to be true is usually is....especially for new items....no wholesalers or store wants to lose money. Good luck finding the right bike!

stumpyracer

by stumpyracer

Welcome to Weight Weenies!

Thanks for the heads up--I was pretty sure that it was a scam, and I think that I've run into this same guy before. Those looking for an epic s-works beware.....

1trakmind

by 1trakmind

Do Not buy from this seller.

boulderguy

by boulderguy

This appears to be a pretty popular scam recently. The escrow service is NOT REAL - they are part of the con.

These guys monitor & check out various escrow svcs - http://www.sos4auctions.com/ - and are a good resource.[/url]