XC UST Tyres

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grover

by grover

Hey,

I'm after a tubeless xc tyre for racing, preferably 2.0 - 2.1. Could you guys tell me what are the lightest and what are your favourites? I'm thinking Schwalbe Jimmy's but they don't look like they'd roll too well. I don't want to use sealant because I change tyres for mud etc. I don't need a tyre that is really good in mud as I have mud tyres that I use with tubes.

Thanks, John.

JK

by JK

If you change tires for mud anyway, you could try the Schwalbe Fast Fred 2.0 UST. It is among the lightest UST tires, rolls really well and has not much, but enough grip when run at lowish pressure. They do not like anything from damp to wet though.

Another option is the Michelin Comp S UST. These are fairly light too, roll as well as any semi-slick and grip anything. They are simple one of the best 'do it all' tires (check some other topics for mor rant&rave about these :wink: ). Hutchinson Python UST lights also fit this description, but they have a bit more rolling resistance.

Stay away from Tioga Red Phoenix. As you can see in the listings, they are the lightest around (mostly because of their 1.8 size), but the pitfall is a rolling resistance twice as high as an average racing tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Hi John :)

Good to see yet another Aussie here... and one I know too :P

I think you're lossing out by wanting to run UST tyres- I have used sealant with no troubles for quiet some time. Even Used the Mont as a proving ground :P No troubles changing tyres either; each to their own I suppose :)

I am hearing loads about the Schwabble Racing Ralf's from abroad notably in Save Some Weight on www.mtbr.com 's forums. Having seen them at the bike show they look great, especially for the hardpack conditions, not sure how they would go in dust, but I am told they are good there too. Roll fast too. (Available UST and Standard)

Since your for UST tyres How bout a conbination of Huchinson Bulldog (rear) / Python (front) tubeless light? I saw this combo on the black Felt (XCR, w/ XTR kit, presumably Josh Flemming's) at the Bike Show last weekend... It looks a good combo for riding/racing around these parts, largish volume although the Bulldog may roll a little slower.

Cant think of anything else really... Maxxis Larsen TT (front) / Mimo (rear), althought he UST versions of the TT are rather heavy and from memory you were running the Larsen TT's at Ballan. I like them, they grip well but they feel slow on the fireroads, dusty dry single track they grip well...

Thats about all I can think of, I am hoping to try both the Schwables and the Hutchi Bulldog/Python combo's on the Cove over summer :D

-Cul

zach

by zach

Try Michelin Wildgripper comp light s, Hutchinson Python Lites, Kenda Karma dtc or Kenda Khrasima.

Adri

by Adri

grover wrote:Hey,

I'm after a tubeless xc tyre for racing, preferably 2.0 - 2.1. Could you guys tell me what are the lightest and what are your favourites? I'm thinking Schwalbe Jimmy's but they don't look like they'd roll too well. I don't want to use sealant because I change tyres for mud etc. I don't need a tyre that is really good in mud as I have mud tyres that I use with tubes.

Thanks, John.

Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are your ticket. Better allround than Fast Fred and they even can stand a bit of mud.
Auribus teneo lupum

grover

by grover

is anyone using the new hutchinson python tubeless light tyres. can anyone confirm their weight, tell me if they're prone to punctures, have a high rolling resistsance, that sort of thing?

cya, john.

zach

by zach

Hey john the weight of the hutchinson python lites is 645 grams and I've only use the old ones had one flat over the whole on a really rocky course. My friend used the python lite's and had one flat of the same course and that was it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com