Rock Shox SID World Cup..

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JensK

by JensK

Pros and cons on this fork, please. I'm looking into buying a used one - are there anything that I should be aware of?

TIA Jens

Mulle

by Mulle

Take a look at:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2004_front_ ... 2939.shtml

this might help.

And here you can see all the shocks in overall:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/2004_front_shocks/
Principia MSLe Pro 9543g
If you accidently had to, could your bike take a smaller downhill ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

King Weel

by King Weel

This is great fork if you are lightweight yourself and have the fork proper tuned and adjusted. Do not buy this fork if your not lightweight (i.e. over 75) yourself, to much flex.
Specialized S-Works Allez (the shiny one :) )
Turner Czar custom
Working on a new S-Works Tarmac custom!

alain

by alain

Last time I had a SID on my bike was 2002. It was the most unreliable fork I've ever had. Since then, I've heard year after year my racing collegues complaining about their SID. Yeah, they're light. But that's all. Once again, if you plan to ride your bike, function and reliability come first, and then weight.

Think Manitou Skareb. :wink:
Titanium rules.

JensK

by JensK

My normal weight is around 63 kg's (give and take a little :wink: ). So I consider my self to be fairly light weight. I have heard the rumors of the SID's being flexy but didn't think that this would pose a problem due to my rather low weight? What do you guys think?

Thanks for the answers so far!

Jens

King Weel

by King Weel

I have a 2002 SID Carbon for two years now, and never had any problems; I reckon that critical adjustment is needed. Especially air pressure... take not only your own bodyweight into account, but also the weight of your shoes, clothings etc. Even the weight of a watterbottle and the weight of the front end of your bike is important. Rebound is fast on my SID, since I ride fairly aggresive XC (fast single track trails) but only weigh 59-60 kg. And of course the maintenance of the fork; some cleaning every time...
Turner Czar custom

JensK

by JensK

Tanks all for the opinions. I've decided to go for a SID Carbon - got a good deal with both black and blue "legs". BTW - can anyone tell me the difference between the SID Carbon and the SID World Cup? I only know that they don't produce the Carbon version anymore, and that the World Cup is supplyed with the remote lock-out system.

TIA, Jens

King Weel

by King Weel

as far as I know is the WC (2003 up to now) the successor of the Race Carbon (up to 2002); the WC has basically the same built up (carbon steerer and crown, ti hardware etc.) as the RC, but with improved stiffness and the remote control.
Turner Czar custom

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IanB

by IanB

JensK wrote:My normal weight is around 63 kg's (give and take a little :wink: ). So I consider my self to be fairly light weight. I have heard the rumors of the SID's being flexy but didn't think that this would pose a problem due to my rather low weight? What do you guys think?

I weigh 63kg too and have found the SID noticably more flexy than the manitou, pace, marzocchi & fox forks I have tried. I'm not saying they are too flexy as it depends on your riding style, but for me there are alternative forks to be had for not much more additonal weight that are better performers for my riding style