HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: UST wheels
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:33 pm 
Can you use normal tyres on ust wheels? im looking to purchase either a crossmax xl or sl ust wheel, i want to use a 1" conti grand prix tyre, will this fit ok with the inner tube and everthing. I don't wanna buy the wheel then realise you can't fit a tyre that thin on it.

Thanx

Post subject: UST wheels
Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:33 pm 

Post subject: UST
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:11 am 

You have 3 choices: 1st)To use with tubeless tyres 2nd)to use with normal tyres but with a tube inside and 3rd)to use with normal tyres with Stan's(or something like that) tubeless kit.I have the first crossmax ust and at training i use normal tyres with tube and i have a high performance pair for the races.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:09 am 

hi guys! ...a couple of quick questions that i should know by now:

can you use the stan's notubes with a regular rim and regular tire ...i ask because i want to seriously reduce my rotational weight for next season ....this is my situation: i have a bontrager race wheelset (remember those orange ones from a few years back :wink:) ...they are not tubeless and are definitely not the lightest rims around but i would like to pick up some twister supesonics and maybe some maxxis flyweight tubes for them ....or, can i simply skip the tubes and go for the stan's notubes kit ....could i do this with non-tubeless wheels?? ....from what i have been reading i think this is absolutely possible! ...which is totally awesome .....well then my next question becomes ....what would be the point in tubeless wheelsets at all when u can just buy regular lightweight wheels, buy your twister supersonics and pick up some stan's notubes?

i would really appreciate your comments and any suggestions that you guys might have ...thanks a bunch!

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 2:02 am 

Ryan,
You certainly can use 'notubes' with normal wheels such as your Bontrager, even people with UST use notubes in their tires to further prevent punctures!!
Word of advice stay clear of Superonic with notubes, I have read to many accounts of failures with these tires.
Order some Nokian NBX Lite 2.0 instead and you could also get the Eclipse whilst your there from www.starbike.com
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:01 am 

Thanks Nikh, I was doing some research and I think the reason why people may have been having bad luck with the NoTubes and Twister Supersonics are because they are such a light tire and fold easily ....I think for this reason you would have to run basically the same psi as if you had tubes! ....like at least 50 psi and I don' think there would be any problems ....I always run high psi anyways and I'm not trying to convert to tubeless so much as to prevent pinch flats as I am more concerned with the rotational mass .....so I am pretty much set on the Supersonics (or at least Schwalbe Fast Fred lights) ....the Stan's NoTubes rim strips are about 55g each compared to the Maxxis Flyweights which are about 95g each ...I think this is the only decision that I have to make and I think that I might as well give the NoTubes a try since I would save some weight and prevent flats ....I will just have to be careful and run higher psi like I always do anyways! ...by the way, I weigh 170 lbs. ...what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 3:54 pm 

The biggest reason that tires like the supersonics and some of the other super-light weight non-ust tires don't work well with Stan's is because the tire has such a thin side wall. The bead tends to pop out easier and the tire itself is much more suseptable to side wall tears. I have talked to Stan himself about this and he tries to steer clients away from the super-light tires.

I currently run Conti explorers with the protec side walls on bontrager rims and haven't had a single problem with the Stan's system. The tire weight is 515-525 grams. I have run them as low as 28 psi. Normally I run 34 psi on the front and 38 on the back (I weigh 165lbs and ride a Trek STP 400).

Post subject: Lactic Hater
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:47 am 

Lactic Hater
FYI If you are still interested in a brand new, never mounted set of Crossmax SL discs I have a set for sale on the for sale page.
flat_chipmunk
gobbaj@wyeth.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:44 pm 

I see various questions and various comments and answers to Stans and ECLIPSE Tubelesskits.there's several things i want to get straight:

those Tubelesskits (Stans Notubes or ECLIPSE-Tubelesskit)

-work on UST AND regular rims as well !

-you can use ALL tires. ultralight,regular ones or UST tires as well.BUT stay off of newer Continental tires !! they are made in Thailand and several guys reported on defective tires when used with sealant.I used Sueprsonics for years without any problems but lately several tires failed and all were the newer ones from Thailand.

-you can use much lower pressures with these kits without fear of getting a snakebite.however the pressure settings on regular tires are usually somewhat higher than with UST tires because regular tires have thinner,softer sidewalls.I found out a good baseline for regular tires used with Tubelesskits is 36 psi.for me this is the mark at which tires grip well and don't feel too mushy in steering.

-the ECLIPSE-Tubelesskit is better designed and has added protection against tires coming off of rims.anyway - I haven't seen any tires coming off yet.just don't over- or underinflate the tires.at under 30 psi you certainly risk to get some blowoffs but at such low pressures the tires feel like flat anyway.

here's some detailed description on the differences between Stans Notubes and the Swiss made ECLIPSE-Tubelesskit (www.tubelesskit.com):

-Stans valves are glued into the rimstrip.they often get ripped off or develop haircracks after some time which makes the rimstrips unusable.also in case of a flat on the trail you have to pull out the whole thing in order to get a tube in and then again you have to have a regular rimstrip underneath...so you have the added weight of that regular rimstrip all the time...

-Stans rimstrips cover the whole interior of the rims.also the rimhooks which hold the tires sidewalls.in my eyes this is no good since the tires really need a good grip on the rim when used at lower pressures.the ECLIPSE rimstrip stays on the flat part of the rimbead leaving the rimhooks untouched to ensure a perfect grip of the tires.

-Stans rimstrip is all flat.the ECLIPSE rimstrip has profiles to ensure a perfect grip of the tires sidewalls even to the inside.(see attached picture).you can see this feature on every UST rim too...

-Stans rimstrip is heavier.the Eclipse rimstrip weighs just 25g.add the valve etc. and final weight is just 40g without sealant.everything installed the Eclipose kit weighs 120g which is about equal to a lightweight tube and regular rimstrip.

-the Eclipse sealant works also in sub freezing temperatures which isn't the case with Stans.we had several customers complaining about Stans sealant over here in Europe.Eclipse is more expensive but really works everywhere.

-ECLIPSE has THE BEST R&D RIDER in the world: Thomas Frischknecht is using our kit since it's prototype stages.that was when Stan was still selling his original, taped version of the tubelesskit.Frischi was really pushing several features and as a result also won worldcup races,bronze at last years worlds and gold at this years marathon worlds using our ki.also U-23 worldchamp Balz Weber as well as many other top athletes already use our tubelesskit.

read here what german magazines have to say about the ECLIPSE-Tubelesskit.they also measured rolling resistance and did offroad testing:
http://forums13.consumerreview.com/crfo ... efbc587/32

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:41 pm 

Nino - do you know any suppliers in the US that carry the Eclipse kits??

Also - I agree with you on the point you can use ALL tires with both types of kits, but it's a matter of wether the tires will hold up. Superlight non-UST tires just don't have the sidewall stregth to hold up to abuse making them more prone to side-wall tears. I suppose if you ride smooth trails without any rocks, you don't have to worry about it, but not to many people have that luxury.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:50 pm 

Xterra Racer wrote:
Nino - do you know any suppliers in the US that carry the Eclipse kits??

Also - I agree with you on the point you can use ALL tires with both types of kits, but it's a matter of wether the tires will hold up. Superlight non-UST tires just don't have the sidewall stregth to hold up to abuse making them more prone to side-wall tears. I suppose if you ride smooth trails without any rocks, you don't have to worry about it, but not to many people have that luxury.

lightbikes used too but not anymore, Nino does sell them.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:50 pm 

Post subject: I sell Eclipse kits...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:59 pm 

for those who can't find any ditsributors/shops that carry the Eclipse-tubelesskits just send me a mail...
luckynino@ggaweb.ch