Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals feedback

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tippster

by Tippster

I switched from Shimano P959's to Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals back in early June. Great I thought, I've shedded 150g and it only cost me $155 + $20 postage from the US to the UK. Still I had managed to get a Egg x3 Ti pedal weight for half the price.

I've now put approx. 2,500 road miles onto the pedals and approx. 200 off road miles. They have been riden on wet roads, but have yet to get them muddy. They have a single bearing on the outer edge of the pedal and this bearing has held up fine. Never re-greased and still fine. Taking the pedal apart and inspecting the pedal (as the pedal has developed around 1mm of play) has shown that the main pedal body (nearest to the frame) rests on the axle with no bearing. Both the axle and the inside of the pedal body have worn, giving rise to the play. Interestingly, I found my right leg is markedly stronger than my left. almost no play in the left pedal. There appears little mechanically I can do to cure the problem. A friend informs me tha the P959 pedals have an adjustable "cone" that can be tightened, giving a longer life to your pedal.

This gives me 2 issues:
If you spend $155 on a pedal with a RRP of $250, would you be inclined to send it back after just 4 months of use and 2.5k road miles? Should I accept this, or compain about poor durability?

given my likely annual milage of 8k [7.2k road and 800 off-road]. The design of the Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals just isnt for me. I can see they would be an ok "race-day" pedal but for the constant bashing I'm likely to give my pedals . . . no.

I'm therefore on the lookout for a durable AND lightweight pedal. My first instinct is to go for another pair of P959's as I found them trouble free. What kind of durability do you get from the Egg Beaters? Do they have a design that allows the user to adjust for pedal wear? Are there any other alternatives?

At a push I could afford to get a pair of Egg x3 Ti (I've seen them for $300). But would be pi$$ed off if they only lasted me 6 months. I've prefer to have a lightweight pedal that will last me at least a year and preferably 2 years +

any suggestions?
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Yep, don't use any of those silly ultralight pedals without a body like the eggies, but buy some of the best pedals around: time ATAC with ti spindle!

(i think i heard Nikh raving about the candy's. This could be a good option too!)
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

carlos

by carlos

here in brazil i have seen lots of people complain about this pedal, not about its performance, but its durability. the problem is once again the bushing.. i dont know how smart is to put only one little bearing and one bushing on a pedal. just like crank bros. those pedals are definetly not for me.
hey
ho
lets go!

Ty

by Ty

Bebop SL, lighter than the xpedo Ti/Ti (my 192g/pair)

:D no weight limit

:D no titanium to break (all steel)

:D low Q

:D needle and ball cartridge bearings, no bushings

:D cheaper than the Xpedo and the eggs.

jer

by jer

Yea, stay away from the Crank Bros. pedals if durability is a priority. I don’t think the candys have an inboard bearing either. The LOOK version of the eggbeaters however, has bearings instead of inboard bushings. If you like the 'beaters design, that would be a much better option. Also, Action-Tec make Ti spindles for 959s ($80 US) that got mine down to 300g (45g savings) They are not quite as durable as the stock steel spindles but as you said, they can be adjusted to compensate for bearing/bearing race wear.

http://www.actiontec.us/index.htm

jer

by jer

BTW I just bought a pair of Mg/Ti Xpedo pedals because the Quality catalogue said they had THREE sets of bearings per pedal. Now I'm mad. :evil: I hate parts that are not designed to last!

cadence90

by cadence90

I've asked this before here, but with little response...what about the Keywin Mudman?
Anyone with any real experience and ride report on these?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Tim the Pineapple

by Tim the Pineapple

cadence90 wrote:I've asked this before here, but with little response...what about the Keywin Mudman?
Anyone with any real experience and ride report on these?

sorry no exp. on key's

If youre new to mtb i say just stick with shimano 959's or Time Atac Xs's...

I have a friend whos started having ankle problem with eggies, since you have to twist you ankle more to release compared to other brand.

I personally got Speedplay frogs... to see what its like, honestly i have mixed opinion its really easy on knees and ankle but then i accidently clip out alot and feels like standing on ice (thanks to free float).

Tippster

by Tippster

Got a reasonable deal on Shimano P959's £60 inc postage (new).

Would any of you guys send the Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals back after 4 months under warantee?

carlos

by carlos

Tippster wrote:Got a reasonable deal on Shimano P959's £60 inc postage (new).

Would any of you guys send the Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals back after 4 months under warantee?

if its still under warranty and develope problems, why not use the warranty that you already paied when you purchased your pedals??
hey
ho
lets go!

cadence90

by cadence90

Tippster wrote:Got a reasonable deal on Shimano P959's £60 inc postage (new).

If the pedals are still under warranty and you have the receipt, absolutely.
Perhaps send a photo and a copy of receipt/warranty to the shop first, with your inquiry?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Tippster

by Tippster

the RRP was $250. Got them for only $155.

problem is that posting them back to the US will cost me $20.

I think the photo and e-mail would be best start.

A pedal (even a lightweight one), I would expect to last more than 3k miles, especially when 90% is road.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com