lightweight pedal for a little heavyweight

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bozopelli

by Bozopelli

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding stability/stiffness of pedals.

I weigh about 207 pounds (94 Kg) an have really powerfull legs (unfortunately not to endurant). I am capable of producing more than 1300 Watt on an ergometer (Wingate Test). In fact, i managed to destroy the magnet field induced brake on our institutes ergometer. It just started smelling an then smoking :lol:

So far for the background.

The question is, which lightweight pedal could still be recommended for a driver like me. M2s i.e. are recomended for 81 Kilos max.

How about egg beater ti/twin ti? Or any other alternative...

thx, Bozo
Quäl dich, du Sau!

Tippster

by Tippster

Why not stick with trusty Shimano M959's?

A tad hevy at 345g, but reliable!

If you want to go lightweight without spending lots of $$$
Xpedo Ti/Ti pedals come in at 198g, costing between $155 and $200.

I got a set for $155 new. I weigh 175lbs. I can lay down quite a lot of power but in short bursts.
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bozopelli

by Bozopelli

hmm, the expedo look great, but they cost 249 € in Germany. thats over 300$ ... :shock:

Weight would be ok for me, unfortunately the xpedo hompage is under redesign right now.... maybe i will look back there later.

Thx Tippster, not a bad tip at all.

Right now i´m using some scott`s in red at app. 390 gramms/pair. But they´re worn and have to be replaced. The Shimano´s are my last choice if everything else in leightweight should fail. Gold ti´s would look great on a black bike (Yeti Kokopelli) with golden AL Bolts everywhere...

Go on friends, anything else?
Quäl dich, du Sau!

elendil

by elendil

Bebop: three versions from 220g to 185g/pair and totally made of steel. Stronger than any lightweight pedal with ti-axles. But more or less same price as Eggbeaters or Xpedo.

Ty

by Ty

yup!

Bebop SLs 195g a pair and not a drop of Ti in sight.

construction is all steel for your heavy riding.

Tippster

by Tippster

I bought my Xpeddo pedals for $155 from the US. Posted to the UK for $20.

Best deal atm for xpedo is $180 from the US. The same company have a 20% coupon so $144 pedals + $20 Postage = $164 ~ EURO135.

Not sure the import taxes in germany. I didn't pay a penny!
"Ride it like you've just stolen it!"

SPRUNG

by SPRUNG

Go with 959's. Not any weight restrictions that I know of at least? And it comes down to this; I know this isn't really the place to say this but, is 100-200g off of your bike going to make you any faster? I mean sure the 959's may be "heavy" but they also don't have any weight restrictions, and very reliable, with good mud clearance. Especially when you have power house legs. If you find the 959's are a little hard on the walet, go for the 540's or 520's. Exact same design, just the bearings are not quite as nice, and they are a few grams heavier.

CHEERS

-mark

Bozopelli

by Bozopelli

Hey, thx again.

I´ll search for the bebops, and as i said, the 959´s are my last option if i can´t find a lightweight pedal which is specified for my weight. But amongst that last choice, they´ll be the first!

BTW i thought this is the weight weenies forum and EVERYONE here is interrested in dropping weight (as for me´, my goal is the technical possibility to tune weight, just as i tune almost everything i have ( DVB-S Receivers, self made CPU Aquacooling, modified X-Box....) :wink:
Quäl dich, du Sau!

cadence90

by cadence90

What about Keywin Mudman? 280g/pair in Cr/Mo; 240g/pair in Ti. No weight limit on either model. $116/pair or $150/pair.
Available at http://www.bigtwincycling.com/keywin_mudman.htm.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Bozopelli

by Bozopelli

Well, interresting feature, that no moving parts thing. But i really don´t like the look of them. So far im stuck with the bebops. They seem to be quite worthy and i couldn´t find any noticeable bad comment about them. But the eggbeater twin ti has also no weight restrictions and i like that look too. Hard to decide, hmmm....
Quäl dich, du Sau!

cadence90

by cadence90

For what it's worth, I'm fairly big too, and I was researching pedals recently as well. I didn't like the fact that both the bebop and the twinti have no platform. I was looking at 959; Ritchey; Crank Bros Candy SL; Keywin Mudman. I ended up getting the Keywin. It looks like a great, simple design to me.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I'm surprised that no one has brought up the Time ATAC's. By far and way superior to most all of the suggestions listed so far.

elendil

by elendil

Well, bebops have a kind of platform as the pedal is totally flat. You cannot compare these with the eggbeaters, it's quite a difference. But the pro's and con's of bebops and other pedals are discussed somewhere in this forum as well, so you might take a look at that...

mendy

by mendy

Crank brother egg beater triple TI
strong super light perfect for X country

nikh

by nikh

At over 200lbs I say your pushing the limit of ti spindles.

I know for a fact Crank Bros. suggest a maximum weight of 185lbs for their ti spindles.

If you like the Eggbeater pedal stick with the Twin ti which has a steel spindle. It's still only 218g per pair some 33g more!
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com