New USE atom stem

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ty

by Ty

seems quite good, 120g no need for star nut or wedge, so additional weight saved

http://www.use1.com/atom%20stem/atom_stem.htm

Ty

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

teutscher

by teutscher

well, it says "120g equivalent for 130mm (no blabla required)"

could it perhaps mean that USE thinks this stem to weigh the same as a 120g stem AND the additional blabla usually needed?

just an idea as this stem doesn't look that light

Tib

by Tib

is it compatible with carbon fiber 'pivot' like the SID World Cup ?
Never give up... never surrender !

JungleBiker

by JungleBiker

[quote="teutscher"]well, it says "120g equivalent for 130mm (no blabla required)"

could it perhaps mean that USE thinks this stem to weigh the same as a 120g stem AND the additional blabla usually needed?

Yes you are right - I already asked USE - its weight is similar to the combined weight of 120 grams PLUS weight of star washer/top cap stuff. Still it is lighter than most stems.

JungleBiker

by JungleBiker

Tib wrote:is it compatible with carbon fiber 'pivot' like the SID World Cup ?

Yes, I have an Atom stem mounted on my SID World Cup. It is especially designed to work with a carbon steerer and the Atom carbon handlebars.

The Ringo star works well and the whole thing looks great.

cadence90

by cadence90

JungleBiker wrote:
teutscher wrote:well, it says "120g equivalent for 130mm (no blabla required)"

Yes you are right - I already asked USE - its weight is similar to the combined weight of 120 grams PLUS weight of star washer/top cap stuff. Still it is lighter than most stems.

:? "Equivalent?" "Similar"? Why don't they just list the weight?
Does anyone know the ACTUAL weight of the stem, not its equivalent to "Humvee minus everything except a USE Atom stem sitting in the seat"?
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

JungleBiker

by JungleBiker

cadence90 wrote: "Equivalent?" "Similar"? Why don't they just list the weight?
Does anyone know the ACTUAL weight of the stem, not its equivalent to "Humvee minus everything except a USE Atom stem sitting in the seat"?

Let me see... I reckon that means a Humvee plus an Atom stem minus 5,200 lbs equals 120 grams plus blabla.
http://www.army.mil/fact_files_site/hmmwv/
:lol:

IanB

by IanB

JungleBiker wrote:Yes, I have an Atom stem mounted on my SID World Cup. It is especially designed to work with a carbon steerer and the Atom carbon handlebars. The Ringo star works well and the whole thing looks great.

Any chance of weighing it and posting it in the listings and putting us all out of our misery? :wink:

teutscher

by teutscher

IanB wrote:
JungleBiker wrote:...

Any chance of weighing it and posting it in the listings and putting us all out of our misery? :wink:

yea man! take this wonderful stem that does not need any blabla and weigh it!
:D

JungleBiker

by JungleBiker

Sorry guys... I'd like to help but right now my bike (with Atom stem) is in Thailand, but I am in the Philippines until 28th September. If you don't mind waiting I will weigh it after then and post the findings. My local bike shop recently got a digital scale which will be handy, 'coz I don't have one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com