Steinbach V-Brake 85g !!!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mulle

by Mulle

Who knows anything about this V-brake :?:
Looks cool - light as hell. :D

Anyone actually already tested these?
How good is the Stopping power?
Is it durabel enough for crosscountry-riding?

Here's a link to the Web-site:
http://www.steinbach-bike.com/presse.asp?ID=41
Principia MSLe Pro 9543g
If you accidently had to, could your bike take a smaller downhill ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

wow......those look like the older Machine Tech V brakes, those brakes were awesome!!

LloydP

by LloydP

I've seen a discussion of those before somewhere, maybe on this forum--I'll try and find it for you.
As I recall:

-they save weight by replacing the steel spring with an elastomer (little blue thing at the bottom of the arm in the pic), and some people were concerned with how that would react to heat, cold, humidity, etc

there were some other points raised that I can't really remember, so it would probably be better if I go off and find the original discussion....

Mulle

by Mulle

Thanks for the link to the forum LloydP. :D

But it doesn't really help me, because they all talk a lot, but nobody actually seems to have tried them.

As an engineerstudent I could tell you that there are elastomers which don't take as much effect by temperature as others. And i don't really believe that it ever gets hot enough to be flexy! Think about it - it definetly must be over 60 degrees celcius to be hot enough. And as you drive it will cool from the wind. But hey - who actually thinks about driving when it's that hot :?

So in case of high temperatures:
It'll be no big problem.
In case of low temperatures:
It'll be a bit harder to pull the levers - something I could live with.
in any case - the brakes would stay true because both brakearms would always have the same temperature....

I could take a look at the oxford materials database to be sure about the elastomers - but I would need the right material-name to look for...
The length is the one of a good V-break, so thats no problem i think.
And I don't think that steinbach is that stupid writing world lightest V-break and then only measures half a break!!!!

So to be more specifik about my question:
From someone who tried these brakes: I need to know if the brakearms are durable and stiff enough for good braking performance.
Principia MSLe Pro 9543g

extralite

by extralite

See the following link for Nino's opinions:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=46592

It seems that they flex way too much due to the lack of material in the brake arms.

Smahatma

by Smahatma

"did i mention the price already? almost 500 Euro for f+r incl. levers - ouch"

wow, that's pretty steep for non-discs.

Tib

by Tib

you've already got these levers to make a full light braking system !

www.poshbikes.com
Never give up... never surrender !

LloydP

by LloydP

ah, well. sorry it wasn't much help :roll:
I agree with you (as another engineering student) that a well-designed system with an elastomer shouldn't present any problems, but it's always worth checking on it for your own peace of mind. personally, i wouldn't worry about the elastomer much unless i was riding around in temperatures below freezing; and then i'd be worried more about ice buildup anyway!

Mulle

by Mulle

No Problem LloydP :P
Hey - are you studying on the Oxford University ? (just looked at your current Location below your username) Great matierial database they made there !!!!! I love to check out materials of an bycycle-component myself before buying it - great thing really.
I once thought (and still think) about doing an English course at Oxford to refresh up my bad english...

The site Mr. extralite linked to was exactly what I were looking for - and to conclude it => I guess I'll just get some Avid Single Digit Ti !
Principia MSLe Pro 9543g

LloydP

by LloydP

Yep, studying at Oxford, but not at this very moment as term hasn't started yet. I'm still working at my summer job...
I wonder if some of the materials in that database were added because there were some cyclists involved in the choice...a surprising number of people in the cycling club are affiliated with the materials department!

Those Avids certainly sound better...5mm flex in the arms is rediculous!!

nino

by nino

ok guys,
i will be one of the first to actually put them on a bike. as described in the MTBR forum the ones that were shown flexed a lot but that was one of the lighter versions.i should get a "reinforced"- version and i already have some lighter pads to compensate for the added weight. they could indeed set a new standard in light brakes.

according to Steinbach price PER SIDE will be 245 Euro without levers, 290 Euro including the Steinbach levers.
so it's 490 Euro for a set of brakes and 580 Euro complete with levers for a set f+r
Attachments
Steinbach-61.jpg
Steinbach-97.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com