Lupine Stuby

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bobalou

by bobalou

Howdy.. I usually post in the road section, but firgured MTB might know more about the Lupine Stuby. I know it's not their brightest, but not bad (4w) but I'm stoked about the battery time, 10hrs full on :shock: and weight, 430g. :) The only downside seems price, about 550euros. If you have any experience with this light I'd like to hear .. and is it worth the price?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I don't have any experiance with this light system but I can tell you a few things about lights. If you looking for something to commute with or something as an addition to a good helmut mount light I think it would be okay.

I just put on a night MTB race in Colorado this past weekend and most of the people riding with just LED style lights were not happy with their performace during the race. Those that had strong HID style lights found it much easier to do the race, especially when it came to the single track stuff.

I personally have a Night Rider Cyclone HID lamp. It has a 12W HID bulb which is equivalent to a 40W standard. Burn time is 4-6 hours. It does an amazing job at lighting up the area.

So if your going to do some racing, spend the money and don't worry about the weight and get a good HID. You will be much happier on the trails!

bobalou

by bobalou

Xterra Racer wrote:
I personally have a Night Rider Cyclone HID lamp. It has a 12W HID bulb which is equivalent to a 40W standard. Burn time is 4-6 hours. It does an amazing job at lighting up the area.

Can't agree more, Xterra.. I actually have a NR HID helmet light and love it. But it's maybe almost too bright for road use. I"ve had drivers bitch at me about it being too bright. But.. that's not the real reason, I'm looking for something in between the wimpy LED's and the more adequate road lights with good lighting time (all night rides, for ultracycling events) that are ALSO lightweight. The stuby seems to fit the bill for that at 4W, 430g, 10hrs.. but was hoping someone could give some feedback.

Actually, if there was a way to get my HID to last 8 hrs and cut the weight in half that would be more then I could ever want! Oh well, I"m dreaming on that one.

Adri

by Adri

Fully agree . If you want to do night riding with an MTB , you need a HID light. Simple as that. I use Lumicycles 10W system (40W output) and can ride as fast at night as during the day.
Auribus teneo lupum