Lightweight & reliable XC fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alain

by alain

I'll soon have to change my Manitou Mars Elite (01) and I'm looking at several options for a fork that should be first reliable and second light, which means I have already eliminated from my list anything from Rock-Shox and the lock-out versions of the Manitou Skareb. I'm hesitating between :

Manitou Skareb Elite (no lock-out)
Magura Ronin 80mm
Magura Asgard 80mm
Marzocchi Marathon SL 85mm

Any of you riding on one of these ? What do you think ? :?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

i don't know if you count the skareb platinum as unreliable but it has an spv assembly instead of the lockout. it's worth a decent look.

i've got skareb super's (lockout) and couldn't be happier. the elite is the same thing without the lockout and would highly recommend it over your other choices. the only other option that you haven't included is fox forks. they are not that much heavier and kill all in reliability and performance, travel quality is top notch. i'd be riding them if i didn't get the skareb's at such a good price. something like the f80RC or the f80x (if you don't consider the terralogic valve unreliable). both very quality forks.

out of your list definitely skareb elite's.

cya, john.

alain

by alain

Funny ! I just purchased a Skareb Elite on ebay before reading your answer and it seems now it is a good choice. I found out that Manitou has re-designed its lock-out system for 2004 (now all aluminium) and it seems to work just fine. Fox forks are great but way too expensive for my budget.

alain

by alain

A Skareb Super ... I purchased a Skareb Super ! ... just as yours.

Smahatma

by Smahatma

alain wrote:Fox forks are great but way too expensive for my budget.

Not to mention heavy :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

grover

by grover

well done man, 04 skareb super. they're the way to go. the metal lockout assembly has no problems, compared to the old plastic one, but is a wee bit heavier. that's to be expected though. anyway congrats, you won't be dissapointed.

cya, john.