tubeless tire on non-tubeless rim

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cadence90

by cadence90

What tires do you recommend on Velocity AeroHeat (non-tubeless) rims with Stan's liners?
Use = drypack, hard trail, road.
2" width.
Thanks in advance. :D
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

For those conditions I like the Maxis Larsen TT. Rolls very fast!!

helmut

by helmut

Can you run a tubeless tyre on a non-tubeless rim?
Say a Panaracer trailblaster tubeless UST on a 717 rim with stans.
Although the tyre is heavy you are saving over 100g on the extra weight of the rim.
This would save some weight over a full tubeless setup and would mean a stronger/thicker tyre could be used to improve reliability. ie punctures!

Has anybody else tryed this setup?

OLver

by OLver

Conti's tires work very well with Stan's No Tubes kit.

Don't try Michelin.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I use Conti Explorer Protecs for my all around tire. I've had very good luck with them running stans.

But....for the conditions that Cadence is describing, I would still go with the Larsen TT's. They roll very fast and hook up well. The only thing that they are not that good for is mud and wet roots.

cadence90

by cadence90

Yes, instinctively I like the Larsen TT's. Thanks, Xterra. Have you used them with Stan's?

Olver: Stan's list Michelin Wildgripper as a recommended tire on their site, along with Conti and Kenda; you didn't like Michelin because it wasn't durable or because it did not work well with Stan's?....but I think I'll try the Larsens anyway.
"Gimondi è un eroe umano, che viene sconfitto ma che continua la sua corsa fino a tornare a vincere." - Enrico Ruggeri

OLver

by OLver

cadence90 wrote:Yes, instinctively I like the Larsen TT's. Thanks, Xterra. Have you used them with Stan's?

Olver: Stan's list Michelin Wildgripper as a recommended tire on their site, along with Conti and Kenda; you didn't like Michelin because it wasn't durable or because it did not work well with Stan's?....but I think I'll try the Larsens anyway.

Well... I heard they did not work well with Stan.
Maybe it's different for the WildGripper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

I have used the Larsen TT's with stans....The owner of the local bike shop I go to also uses this set up.

I have run the Larsen TT's on Bontrager Tubeless rims with the stock rimstrip removed and replaced with the Stan's. The owner of the LBS uses AC classic rims with the stans rimstrip and Larsen TT's.