replacement rings for XTR960 crank

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DJL

by DJL

Does anyone know of any 102mm 32t chainrings other than the quickly worn out shimano rings? XTR rings are hard to find especially when they wear out in 2 months.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html

from Brett at Boone

I have just finished the design of the middle. I just checked and you can do a 31 middle but not a 30. The inner can go 20, but the sprocket has to be ovalized (it is not a perfect circle). I made a 20t as a test for one guy, and he hasn’t had any problems. You can do a 21t with a circular pitch circle. The only ring I haven’t designed yet is the 146mm outer

I have ordered a set but they have not arrived as of yet

Smahatma

by Smahatma

What type of riding do you do, and how often? I just put on my 960 crank about a month ago. Just curious to see if I should go ahead and buy a set of replacement rings just to have on hand, if we have similar riding patterns and I can expect it to wear out quickly.

DJL

by DJL

Well I've been racing mine every weekend since mid may, and training on them 3-4 times during the week, so I'm not that surprised with the wear. The worst thing about them is how hard it is to get replacements.

Tib

by Tib

what about the weight ? how can I save for a set of 22/32/44 on my XTR M960 crankset ? with the weights on weightweenies, i expect to save 34 grams...

and a question for the users of boone chain rings: what about the quality of shifting ? and longevity ?
Never give up... never surrender !

Adri

by Adri

nzkiwiguy wrote:http://www.booneti.com/cr/cr.html

from Brett at Boone

I have just finished the design of the middle. I just checked and you can do a 31 middle but not a 30. The inner can go 20, but the sprocket has to be ovalized (it is not a perfect circle). I made a 20t as a test for one guy, and he hasn’t had any problems. You can do a 21t with a circular pitch circle. The only ring I haven’t designed yet is the 146mm outer

I have ordered a set but they have not arrived as of yet

How long does it take Brett on average to deliver? I ordered mine the 23rd of June??

@TIB, quality of shifting is not as good as Shimano or the like, longevity on the other hand...they should last for years
Auribus teneo lupum

Tib

by Tib

ok, it will already be suitable for me...

i think i'll order in a few days, but i just need to know if it's possible to dispose of special M960 entraxes.
Never give up... never surrender !

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

my rings are about a week away. took about 6 weeks in total

xcfisher

by xcfisher

Has anybody got the rings from Brett yet???? I paid for mine, and sent him a stock 44t XTR ring to copy nearly a month ago, and haven't heard from him as to the whereabouts... ??

nikh

by nikh

I know Brett is very very busy so hang tight a little longer.
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I got my rings it took 7 weeks in total. Be aware you need spacers/washers for the middle ring to set it up properly. A bit of a pain to get the gap right. Also your existing crank bolts for the middle may be too long. I wen twith a shorter set.

Rings are great. have about 1000Miles on them no issues

Adri

by Adri

I've gotten mine a month ago.
Auribus teneo lupum

xcfisher

by xcfisher

Great, I'm glad to hear it. If he sent out the other rings I wonder why he asked for my 44t Large ring to copy, wouldn't he already have it on file if he sent the others? What is the weight compared to the stock rings?

Adri

by Adri

The new XTR ring he hasn't done before, when last I contaced him he was checking out how to best build it.
My rings weigh 70g for the 46 and 32g for the 34 tooth (standard config)
Auribus teneo lupum

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I got the the two inner rings not the outer.