Anyone with a weight concious Enduro 2002 ?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dave

by Dave

I have a Stock Enduro Comp 2002...
has anyone out there given one the weight weenie treatment ?
and if so ... how did it go.
I've compared some of the weights in the listings with the stock items on the bike and it seems to be an awful lot of expense sometimes to save a few grams !!
but obviously the few grams extra on each component add up to make the stock bike 30 lb - ish
What would you gents suggest first off ?
Any advice would be most appreciated.
(apart from "lose a stone" of body weight !!)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bob

by Bob

Very cool site!!
Well I do like the Enduro, and the comp is a good worthy frame to trick out, same frame as the upper end stuff.
I would first start out with a new set of wheels, get the lightest disc hubs you can afford, Chris King hubs are some of the best and easiest to rebuild. American Classic hubs dont cost as much but are even lighter, check out there web sight, wheels as low as 1400 grams. My CK/Mavic 317 wheelset is about 1624 grams, if money is a problem then just get some new XT hubs and lace them to 317 rims with double butted spokes and aluminum nipples, they weigh only 224 grams more than the King wheels. 1846 grams
Wheels will not only lighten the bike but also improve the ride.
Stans notubes and some tire's like WTB Mutanoraptors, this might lighten the load about 2 pounds! Price will be anywhere from 200 to over $600.
Next I would replace those forks with a Fox Float, then perhaps get a Thompson post and a WTB Laser seat.

yxan

by yxan

I had a pimped out 2002 Enduro Large frame with

Monkey lo rise , thomson stem, seat post, selle flite saddle, mavic xl crossmax, xt casette, xt rear , deore front, marzochi mxc air,

27.8 lbs.

last thing i put on was mechanical disc brakes with Ti levers, never got the weigh the bike.