Upgrading to tubeless rims.

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

helmut

by helmut

How to upgraded to tubeless?

I am currently running a none tubeless wheels.
Chris King iso hubs
dt aerolite spokes, al nipples
Mavic 717disc rims
710g front 850g rear.
Total 1560g

I was getting punctures quite alot so i tryed running stans tubeless system.
Found that my punctures had stopped and i became acustom to more grip through running lower pressures. Recently i have been doing quite alot of comuting so have been changing tyres quite alot. This was a real hassel but because stans system was working so well it did not really bother me.
Went out the other day and had a puncture? Found that my tires, the actual nobbs, were ripping themselves of the skin. This results in a hole that can not be sealled. Everytime that area was under load the tear would open.
So i decided that i would build another set of wheels with a tubeless rim. The fact that Mavic d3.1 rims are 50g+ heavy than what i am using was a put off straight away but after reading about the extras it apears to be more like 120g per rim. This would result in wheels weighing 1800g.
I then happened to see some cheap facory rims, mavic crossmax sl,
1685g per wheel set. I almost bought a set of these about a year ago but felt they were to heavy but after seeing how much custom tubeless wheels weigh these seem to be quite good. + they will be half the price of another custom build.
Read a few reviews and they all seem to be fairly positive
and when at the world cup 75% of riders were using these wheels although that could be a sponcership thing rather than because they are the best.
Does anbody have an opinion or had any experience with these wheels or can suggest another option as to how to move to tubeless without adding a great deal of weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com