HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:07 pm 

cula_ru wrote:
Axis II wrote:
I wouldn't put these in the category of light wheels, really. I mean, 1300g is easily done these days for much less $$. I'm just sayin.....

I know that I can build a lighter wheel set, but do they have the same characteristics has the crossmax? I rode mines everywhere for about 5 years and they are still good to go. They are tubeless and inflexible. I can trust them, that’s something that I appreciate in a mtn bike.
I think I couldn’t trust in a pair of wheels like those (thin rims and spokes) to ride everywhere like a mtn bike is supposed to. Correct me if I’m mistaken.

Yes, I ride these wheels everywhere and they do very nicely. I'm not doing drops or jumping just normal agressive XC, of course. Much stiffer then a Xmax, IMO. Faster fo sho.

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:07 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:35 pm 

I weighed my SLR's and they came in at the claimed 1420g to the nearest gram... (No pictures yet) This is including the presta valves, excluding the skewers.

I've had the 2001 Xmax's for 5 years and they were bombproof. Changed bearings after 4 years, but probably could have continued with them. I race on national level here in the Netherlands and have worn out quite a few brakepads, but the ceramic coating on them stayed in very good condition.
For me nothing else!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:18 pm 

Axis II wrote:
Yes, I ride these wheels everywhere and they do very nicely. I'm not doing drops or jumping just normal agressive XC, of course. Much stiffer then a Xmax, IMO. Faster fo sho.

Either you are a lightweight guy or you’re not having aggressive XC, riding and down hilling over big rocks, logs, roots, holes, 80 cm drops, etc…
I can’t trust that ztr wheels, they feel weak… just after testing them in my area I could say if they’re strong or not, flexi or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:28 am 

I doubt that 80cm drops still fall under the catagory XC, it sounds more like All Mountain to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:31 am 

sniperworks wrote:
I doubt that 80cm drops still fall under the catagory XC, it sounds more like All Mountain to me.

I dont do this drops all the time.. lol Its more XC with some jumps for fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:48 am 

Just to clarify, these are not the rims for you if you are someone who goes out of their way to jump and drop. I'm not a lightweight @ 165lbs but I try and stay away from jumping the bike just to do it and I take the drops smoothly without unnecessary height. I ride with guys who seem to go out of their way to bunnyhop every little bump in the trail. The ZTRs would not be the best choice for them. These rims are built to GO FAST not hard but IMO they are much stiffer then my set of SLs- front brake rub is not an issue and hard cornering is more precise. Paying the $$ for a quality wheel builder is a priority with the ZTRs to get the most out of them as is true with any wheel build. It sounds like the SLRs may be the better choice for you if your doing downhills over big rocks and like to be in the air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:03 pm 

Kayba, how do you like SLR's?

Post subject: Whell a couple more...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:02 pm 

Just for weight sharing, here are mine. Weights without valves. Valves 7g each. Rear wheel without that plastic wheel. I'm liking them alot. I'm just finding my SID WC flexy, but thats another "problem". QR are heavy @ 87g. I don't use them. Gave them to my brother.

FRONT

REAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:31 pm 

Batas wrote:
Just for weight sharing, here are mine. Weights without valves. Valves 7g each. Rear wheel without that plastic wheel. I'm liking them alot. I'm just finding my SID WC flexy, but thats another "problem". QR are heavy @ 87g. I don't use them. Gave them to my brother.

Are you sure that the problem is in fork and not the front wheel? Did you try to put wheel on stiffer fork?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:47 pm 

D.J. wrote:
Batas wrote:

Are you sure that the problem is in fork and not the front wheel? Did you try to put wheel on stiffer fork?

Well, I still have to try it on a stiffer fork, but but everything is telling me that the fork is the main cause... When I don't lock it, the wheel flexes more to the left, when I lock the fork it flexes the same both ways (less) when I'm pedaling hard... But I will try to run it with a stiffer fork...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm 

D.J. wrote:
Kayba, how do you like SLR's?

I am also very happy with the SLR's. I have had several pairs of Crossmax' and although you can find lighter wheels, I still find them to be the best possible combination of lightweight and reliable wheels, especially the V-brake wheels with ceramic coating. I ride them with Nobby Nicks and notubes.

Kayba

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:01 pm 

Quote:
when I'm pedaling hard

...off the saddle?

Did you use some other wheels before SLR's with the same fork & QR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:10 pm 

Quote:
the best possible combination of lightweight and reliable wheels, especially the V-brake wheels with ceramic coating

Exactly!

Did you noticed the same problem like Batas does?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:16 pm 

D.J. wrote:
Quote:
when I'm pedaling hard

...off the saddle?

Did you use some other wheels before SLR's with the same fork & QR?

Yeap, off the saddle, and yeap, some custom wheels. Mavic 717 rims, dt 2.0 1.8 2.0 spokes and Lx hubs.

I had to let go my Tune AC16/17 QR and start using steel bolt on's (BBB QR3) to minimize that flex issue.

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:16 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 pm 

If you didn't have flex with custom wheels then it must be SLR's flexing. Could you just for test switch left and right side of front wheel and then see if there is more flex to left or right.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next