How loose should rear cogs be?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DeepWalletDave

by DeepWalletDave

I have a new ActionTec ti rear MTB cassette, and a pair of Soul Kozac disc hubs....when I slide the cassette in place over the aluminum shell, it seems without tightening the final ti threaded locking gear, I can rotate the cassette fore and aft quite a bit as the male rectanguler downward projections on each cog that fit into the slots on the cassette freewheel shell are narrower then the slots on the shell....

Are these supposed to be so sloppy?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ye Olde Balde One

by Ye Olde Balde One

DeepWalletDave wrote:I have a new ActionTec ti rear MTB cassette, and a pair of Soul Kozac disc hubs....when I slide the cassette in place over the aluminum shell, it seems without tightening the final ti threaded locking gear, I can rotate the cassette fore and aft quite a bit as the male rectanguler downward projections on each cog that fit into the slots on the cassette freewheel shell are narrower then the slots on the shell....

Are these supposed to be so sloppy?

They shouldn't be loose at all, but with some hubs they often are. AC for example take this to the extreme, I presume to save as many grams as they can.
Ride lightly!

Tippster

by Tippster

I have a similar thing on my XT rear hub.

Once the lockring on the cassette is tightened - no problems!

limas_mtb

by limas_mtb

If the assembly is loose while fully tightened & all parts are new, then things are bound to get worse after some wear & tear... :(

Tip: Try to find an aluminum cassette spacer (maybe from an old XT-cogset?) and grind it evenly 'till it becomes ~2mm thick (tricky!). Slide it onto the freehub body, before the cassette, slide the cassette on the freehub body, then tighten (best to coat the freehub body with grease).

I had this issue about 6-7years ago, with a Hugi alloy freehub & a Shimano XT cassette... The above tip worked fine for me, hope it helps in your case! :wink:

Cheers,
Alex

DeepWalletDave

by DeepWalletDave

I haven't tightened the locking gear yet, there is issues with that too as it is might need soem anti-sieze lube as it is way too tight and can't be screwed on much more then a thread or two by hand....it just seems they are awfully loose fore and aft in the interim....

nikh

by nikh

Slightly OT:

How is the bike coming along Dave?
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

IanB

by IanB

DeepWalletDave wrote:I haven't tightened the locking gear yet, there is issues with that too as it is might need soem anti-sieze lube as it is way too tight and can't be screwed on much more then a thread or two by hand....it just seems they are awfully loose fore and aft in the interim....

I would be inclined to try something like a shimano cassette to test the tolerances of the freehub body, and to see if the lockring will go in. Sounds to me that something is the wrong size :?

Good luck...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com