Hutchinson tyres

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

helmut

by helmut

Does anybody know the difference between the Gold Elite brand and the Air Light brand.

From what i can gather they are made of different compounds. But there is something inconsistent about the weights.

Mosquito Gold Elite 490g
Mosquito Air Light 485g not alot of difference.

Python Gold Elite 730g
Python Air Light 485g Massive difference in weight

Scorpion Gold Elite 560g
Scorpion Air Light 590g
Not a big difference, but the Gold Elite is lighter than the Air Light.

If the Gold Elite was always heavier then that would make sence, different compound more weight. But this is not the case.

Does anybody have an explanation, or more importantly an opinion as to which type is better? l

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flat_chipmunk

by flat_chipmunk

Python tubeless UST are 730g. The non-UST gold are considerably less. The airlight (single compound) should be lighter than gold (dual compound for better cornering).
FYI I find the airlight pythons an excellent rear tire-low rolling resistance and good traction and volume.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

running a python on the front but in reverse to the normal direction, gives great corning in loose and sand.

The scorpion is a great mud tire but the knobs rip off easy.

As an aside if you get a 1.75 scorpion make sure your spare tube will fit it. I.E it's not a 2.0 - 2.7 tube. get a lightweight latex tube for a spare or you can get caught out

limas_mtb

by limas_mtb

The Python works well as a rear tire, but I've had no luck by using it up front -On rocky terrain the tire will simply not stay put, until you run an extremely low pressure and eventually get a pinch-flat... (26x2.00 size)

I switched back to my Corratec Mr.Hot/Mr.Cool combo and am very pleased.

Just my oppinion...

helmut

by helmut

I am using a Mosquito at the back and a python up front.
Is anybody else using these tyres for front and back use?

Was considering getting same tyre for front and back, but everyday the conditions change. I would rather be able to ,climb the hills when wet / decend slowly and still be able to get up the hills when dry/ decend fast, than have tyres that only worked on a wet or dry day. + Hutchinson tyres work well with stans!
Can anyone recommended a tyre that works well in all conditions that also works with stans in a psi range of 35-50.