Ligthest disc System

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cabia2002

by cabia2002

Hi,
Someone Knows what is the disc system ligthes?

Including all the system of course.

XTR, Clara, Hope mini, avid mechanics?

Regards
It's more importatnt how to arrive that arrive.

nzkiwiguy

by nzkiwiguy

I may be wrong but I think it is the new hope mini monoblock. 375 gms all hardwear etc.

there is a kit to convert it to mineral oil as well if you want the new shimano shifters.

you can also use a 140mm if you want it lighter still, or stans has lighter alloy rotor's and pads

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tippster

by Tippster

try this link for ALL disck system weights:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... discbrakes

Hope mono mini's come in at around the same weight as mini's. Stopping power has been quoted by some rideres at better than mini's.

Formula B4 SL's are the lightest I can think of. I have heard some bad feedback on their build quality though.

teutscher

by teutscher

Tippster wrote:try this link for ALL disck system weights:
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listi ... discbrakes

Hope mono mini's come in at around the same weight as mini's. Stopping power has been quoted by some rideres at better than mini's.

Formula B4 SL's are the lightest I can think of. I have heard some bad feedback on their build quality though.

the b4 SL isn't sold anymore - there where problems with the dot-fluid and thus corroding magnesium body; there still might be some 2003's b4 SLs in the shops, your risk ;)
the new model is the b4 pro+, which is - in weight - in one league with magura marta sl but quite a bit cheaper

IanB

by IanB

Just my opinion, but if you're trying to get your bike super light, then surely you're better off with V brakes. 80g saving on some disc brakes (probably at the risk of reduced performance over heavier models) surely defeats the object... I run Hope Mono Mini's, which weigh in under 370g/ end, but stop you on a six pence, and they are very nicely made.

It goes back to the old triangle where you have strength, weight and price at each corner. The closer you get to two of the points, then the more you sacrifice the factor that is at the other.

Tippster

by Tippster

Two things I would add to IanB's post:

With V-brakes you can also run less spokes and lighter hubs as non-disc hubs are lighter.

I'm a fan of Disc due to the stopping power. Added extra is on commutes Hope minis scare the $hit out of pedestrians straying into the road with teh squeel. Couple that with Lupine nightmares at 45 Watts and you also have car headlamp brightness to blind them too!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com