Light weight disc huds

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gpfbike

by gpfbike

Which light weight disc hubs will hold up for XC use, I weigh 190 pounds
I was thinking about using Tune disc or DT hugi 240 disc . I have been using XTR and never had a problem.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The both will hold up perfectly. The tunes are lighter!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sandal

by Sandal

can anyone comment on WTB laser disk (=American Classic) hubs? they're lighter and cheeper than Hugi. i'm curious if they are also trouble/maintanence free and long lasting 8) . :?:
weight concerned = good, weight obsessed = bad!

nino

by nino

i have a german Heylight Disc-hub i don't need.brandnew, untouched.it weighs 110g only which is the lowest i know of any Disc hub.i can't upload the pic so please contact me off the forum:
luckynino@ggaweb.ch

DeepWalletDave

by DeepWalletDave

Hey Nino,

Today Santa came in the form of a pair of black Soul-Kozac disc mtb hubs or my project bike, 105 grams for the front, 204 grams for for the rear.

I uploaded a listing.

IanB

by IanB

DeepWalletDave wrote:Today Santa came in the form of a pair of black Soul-Kozac disc mtb hubs or my project bike, 105 grams for the front, 204 grams for for the rear.

:o Flinkin' blip - thats light!

How have they got hubs down to that weight?
Do they actually work?
I could save 1/4 pound of my already light King wheelset with those babies...
Amazing.

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

Hello all. Weight of the hubs isn't really the big factor, it does help though. As the wheel spin, the hub is closest to the centrifuge. as you go away from the hub, you want your components to be lighter so it can spin faster. Light spokes are the second most important factor, but the most is the rims. Stan's no tubes makes ZTR355 rims (355grams) and they are awesome. I just got some new wheel set and they are about 1500gr or less.

CK Iso Disc Front: 166gr Rear: 306gr
CX-Ray Sapim spokes 278gr for 64 spokes
ZTR355 rims 355gr each

Total weight 1500gr (give or take a few grams).

Hope this helps.

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

Oh and about the WTB laser Disc lights. They are light. Extremely light, but I personally thought the craftsmanship is about above average. It looked easy to maintain, and my LBS wrencher loves it, but he admitted CK are easier to maintain and work on.

nikh

by nikh

Hi and welcome to the club.

DocTP1885 wrote:Stan's no tubes makes ZTR355 rims (355grams) and they are awesome.

More like 360-370g but still a good weight.

MTBR related thread
PLAY DARTS! *WARNING* MUST HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR TO PLAY!!!

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

Thanks. Since they are brand new rims, I'm sure the company will low ball on the grams.

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Doc give us a review after you have a few miles on them. I'm concerned about them not having spoke hole eyelets. I want to see if how the spokes hold up after riding for a while, before I buy a pair.

thanks!!!

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

X,

No problem. I've already tacked on 100+ miles on it, and right now, they are just plain awesome, but you're right. It's still too early to tell. One thing you will notice on the rims is the simplicity of it. No crazy designs or anything. Actually, when you get the rims, you're wondering if you just got ripped off. It's extremely plain looking with a 3 1/2" notubes decal on it and that about it (sticker can easily be taken off). I'm using sapim nipples (required for Sapim spokes) and the rim are designed for standard tubes, but you get stan's notube strips (Free) if you want to convert them to tubeless.

I guess this product is still new on the market. I'll give a review in about 6 months. For now, I'm liking it. :)

Xterra Racer

by Xterra Racer

Are you running them tubeless? Can you tell if there is a difference between the bead hook on the stans verses other brands. One of the claims Stan makes is a more pronounced beed hook to allow for a better seal when using his tubeless system on regular tires.

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

I'm running tubeless. Yes, the bead hook is very pronounced. The set up is nice. With Stan's no-tubes on the ztr355 rims, the air is still at 38psi. After two weeks, I lost only 2psi on front and back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Sounds great!

Makes me wanna have em too! LOL

Maybe some time later for my ww build!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!