Cranks which ones?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jamie

by Jamie

I wish to upgrade my Coda EX3 crank/chainrings and XT B/B combo.

I want something real light like the Storck Power Arms, ti ISIS B/B and TA chainrings. I could save 400 grams in the process. This would cost me approx £350.

This weight saving:cost ratio is within my rule of thumb of spending no more than £1 per 1 gram saved. Does anyone else have a similar rule to kerb the weight weenie habit?.

Please recommend a reliable light Ti/hollow cromo ISIS to compliment the power arms - not Raceface- too heavy for my liking.

I weigh 75 kilos. and do mainly trail/XC riding will the power arms flex?

thanks

[/url]

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

whats funny about that is that here in the States, I have heard a lot of "no more than $1 per gram", whats funny is that the pound is ~$1.50+, so you're getting a lot more bang for your proverbial buck.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bruiser

by Bruiser

Last time I shopped for upgrades I had a similar $1 per gram rule, I chose LX and XT components for that reason.

Sorry no idea about the cranks

Brian

Earthworm Jim

by Earthworm Jim

Actually if you get a 1 gram saving per US$ we need to get approx 1.5 grams saving per £ sterling for the same value.

All you lucky guys in the states usually get to pay for an item for the same number of dollars as we pay in pounds. (Unless it is European equipment).

IanB

by IanB

Jamie,

I use a pair of Middleburn RS8's (387g) with XC Duo 29/42 rings (138g, complete) with an American Classic ISIS bottom bracket (150g) and FSA alloy ISIS bolts (21g). I find it to be a good combination thats light on the scales and lighter on the wallet than Storcks :wink:
I've seen several pairs of carbon cranks looking really tatty and chipped after not many months of riding, so I'd stick with alloy for UK use.

Jamie

by Jamie

Thanks IanB

That sounds like a nice setup, though maybe not for me as Im running a 12-27 dura ace cassette and rear mech.

I will lose out on hills using 29 front and 27 rear and I am a little unfit!.

Where did u buy the AM ISIS BB?

IanB

by IanB

I run a Dura-Ace 12-27 cassette too. I don't have too much of a problem with the ratios, though I ride singlespeed too so maybe I'm used to the not-so-low gears... :wink:
Supercycles in Nottingham had AM Classic BB's, but I got mine second hand on STW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com