Choose your Favourite Clipless pedal and Why?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

your favourite clipless pedal

bebop
4%
egg-beaters
39%
time-atac
20%
shimano
20%
speed-play
7%
keywin mudman
2%
wtb stealth
No votes
m2racer ORB
No votes
corratec
4%
others
4%

Total votes: 46

Stylomilo

by Stylomilo

nabwong79 wrote:I used to use shimanos 737 and they're good except in mud. Tried the onza, they're crap. Really hard to clip out. Now i'm using $8 performance spds..hehehe... Scheiße is mud, wat the heck, it's Scheiße anywhere. I'm saving up for the eggbeaters, have never tried them before.

Is there a diff between the stainless steel and chrome egg beaters besides the weight?

Nab, you should try the eggbeaters. What it cross-country for? sure there is mud, sand, quick-sand, water flow and in technical climbing, u can clip out easily and clip in easily on time(4 sided entry). Very light(less force (pull) to pedal). :twisted: :wink:

Najib, when you are going back home to Singapore? I'll be glad if u join the race here. Bukit Timah is getting muddy and muddy and easier and easier and one front brake is enough. :P Well, International Race in Sentosa will be on 4-7 June i think :noidea: . Just check the S.A.C.A(sucka) for more details. :D
Crashman like crashing, feel the rythem and ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polaris

by polaris

tommasini wrote:I don't ride in mud so have grown to love the clip action of the shimano 959's and those only. Plus I got my weight weenie fetish taken care of via Ti spindles (Action Tec) and alu hardware on the pedals - 289gr for a pair. Yes Yes!

Do you know where I could get some Ti spindles for a set of Wellgo pedals?
.....but it still has to work!

SWorksRider

by SWorksRider

old school ritchey ti's baby

DocTP1885

by DocTP1885

Egg Beaters. Four Sided and the best thing about it is you can re-build it yourself for $14.95. They even include the spindle now. I rebuilt my egg-beater with the kit and it was easy. It kinda makes you wonder though. for $14.95 you get the spindle, bearings, bushings, cap, ring cap, and hex nutt. Only thing missing is the 4 sided tension clip. It cost $60.00 on ebay to buy the cheapest version of egg-beaters, but cost $14.95 for 90% of the components. Makes you go hmmmm.

FPC

by FPC

I've been on Speedplay Frogs with stainless spindles for several years now after years on SPD knock off such as Ritchey, Onza, VP. I think the positives of the frogs are that they're light, tons of float, no adjustments to worry about, and that they work very well in dry conditions, I've never gotten stuck in the pedal, entry and release is easy, and the pedals themselves are very durable and easy to grease. The negatives I'd say are they aren't great in mud, when cruddy they are hard to engage, the old style cleats don't last long and are $30 to replace, the old style cleats have a little movement especially after worn some, the new style cleats have better engagement when clean - without the movement - and last longer but don't seem to engage as well as the old ones when dirty, you can only release by moving your heal outwards (unless you file down the retainer on the pedal) and mostly - the reason why I'm considering something else at this point - is that the platform seems small. All that being said - when I first switched to the Frogs I was extremely pleased with their performance, weight and durabilitycompared to SPD knock offs. So - I'd give them a thumbs up overall but that being said I'd like to try the not so new anymore Shimano design, Egg beaters and Times to see if any feel more substantial under my feet. The reason I got the platform issue in my head is on a recent vacation - Mazatlan which has some nice rides - see Fernando at ??? I can't remember the shop's name but it is an Irish sounding name - I rented a mountain bike and rode last year's Mexican National's course as well as an old World's course - sorry for the digression - anyway the pedals were toe straps which I haven't used in 10 years and was amazed how great they felt under my feet (although I crashed twice hard just because I had them pulled so tight that I couldn't slide my feet out quickly) - Anyway the platform was nice

vinnie

by vinnie

8) Egg Beaters all the way. I've used Shimano SPD's since their birth, also tried Time.

I find Egg Beaters easy to enter and release

Has good float options

And mud clearance is the best

Oh and if it matters don't weight a lot.

Currently have 3 pairs of beaters. I was even thinking about putting them on my road bike because of the easy of entry would mean getting away from the lights and roundabouts quicker.

michael227

by michael227

I find speedplays great, i use them on my road and mountain bikes, so nice in the mud, low profile cleat, pedals have a hole to put the grease in, nice and light and free float, very very nice pedals.

danielgillett wrote:
A vast majority of top racers (Sauser, Leuchs, Meirhaeghe, Absalon) use or have either used the Time ATAC system.

dont they just use what they are paid to use?

danielgillett

by danielgillett

michael227 wrote:
danielgillett wrote:A vast majority of top racers (Sauser, Leuchs, Meirhaeghe, Absalon) use or have either used the Time ATAC system.

dont they just use what they are paid to use?

No - Meirhaeghe pays for his Triple Ti Crank Bro's Eggbeaters.

Leuchs also used Time when he was a teenager, and he would have had to pay for them.