Building a skinny Klein... Help please

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

laurence313

by laurence313

Dear all,

I am new to MTB and I am currently building a XC bike based on a 2005 Klein Attitude frame. Because I dont have much skills and cant really climb :oops: , I am hoping to build a bike that can give me as much help as possible. However, I am sort of overwhelmed with the technical specifications when choosing the right components. :shock: I hope someone here get give me some advices,

1. What is the difference between the MC1, 2 and 3 head tubes on Attitude frames? What sort of headsets can I use? A conventional or a semi-intraged ones?

2. Does anyone know if the new Attitude frameset comes with v-brake bosses? My frame is going to take another month to arrive, but I want to see if I can run v-brakes and not need to buy new disc brakes and hubs. My local LBS and the internet did not help much.

3. I have a set of FSA K-force megaexo crankset with megaexo bb, does anyone know if it will fit the Attitude frame? I think the bb has "english threading - 68mm and 73mm"- (got that off FSA website, dont even know what that means)

4. I have a 34.9mm seatpost clamp from my old bike, can it fit onto the Attitude frame which has a factory's 36.4mm clamp?

I know these questions may be stupid... but hey, you dont learn without asking stupid questions :wink:

Thanks in advance,
Laurence

mattpage

by mattpage

3: Yes, it will fit. Integrated Cranks/BB's are designed for 68 and 73mm shells. Check the instructions as you will have spacers that will adjust it for the different sizes.

4: If the seatpost clamp is even slightly out I wouldn't recommend fitting it. Especially not 34.9 - 36.4mm! :o
Seatpost sizes are quoted for internal diameter, seatpost clamps are quoted for external diameter. (Internal is 34.9, external is 36.4)

Very nice frame. Enjoy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mastiee

by Mastiee

2. Yes, looking at the Klien website- the 2005 models do have brake bosses. Nice paint jobs too 8)

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountain_b ... index.html

mattpage

by mattpage

I'd say the opposite, looking at those picture they don't have brake bosses and are disc specific.

Nothing wrong with disc brakes, they are miles ahead of V brakes if you live in a wet or muddy area :)

Nicolas

by Nicolas

mattpage wrote:Seat post sizes are quoted for internal diameter, seat post clamps are quoted for external diameter. (Internal is 34.9, external is 36.4)

Sorry for :offtopic: but this means that i can fit a lets say Hope 34,9 mm seat clamp even though I've got a 30,8 mm (yes that's a eight) seat post size as long as the external diameter is 34,9?
Think, type, speak... In that order...

Mastiee

by Mastiee

mattpage wrote:I'd say the opposite, looking at those picture they don't have brake bosses and are disc specific.

Nothing wrong with disc brakes, they are miles ahead of V brakes if you live in a wet or muddy area :)

Aii your right, i thought the cable mounts were them :o

chri5

by chri5

laurence313 wrote:
1. What is the difference between the MC1, 2 and 3 head tubes on Attitude frames? What sort of headsets can I use? A conventional or a semi-intraged ones?

The MC1 has a 2" Bearing on the Top as well as on the bottom and it has the MC1-Stem which goes into the Steering tube of the fork.
The MC2 and MC3 have a 2" inch bearing at the bottom, but a 1,5/1,75 (not sure which one) at the top.
Further there are MC3s and MC3.1s, only that on the MC3.1, the upper bearing is pressed into the frame from the top instead of from the bottom as on MC1 and MC2 and early MC3s.
Your Klein is a 2005 and doesn't have a MC-system at all, it's a regular 1 1/8".

2. Does anyone know if the new Attitude frameset comes with v-brake bosses? My frame is going to take another month to arrive, but I want to see if I can run v-brakes and not need to buy new disc brakes and hubs. My local LBS and the internet did not help much.

I believe the 05 Attis don't have V-Brake bosses.

3. I have a set of FSA K-force megaexo crankset with megaexo bb, does anyone know if it will fit the Attitude frame? I think the bb has "english threading - 68mm and 73mm"- (got that off FSA website, dont even know what that means) [/color]

I think it's english and 73mm.

4. I have a 34.9mm seatpost clamp from my old bike, can it fit onto the Attitude frame which has a factory's 36.4mm clamp?

[color=red]The Attitude should have 34.9 too.

I know these questions may be stupid... but hey, you dont learn without asking stupid questions :wink:

Thanks in advance,
Laurence

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Nicolas wrote:
mattpage wrote:Seat post sizes are quoted for internal diameter, seat post clamps are quoted for external diameter. (Internal is 34.9, external is 36.4)

Sorry for :offtopic: but this means that i can fit a lets say Hope 34,9 mm seat clamp even though I've got a 30,8 mm (yes that's a eight) seat post size as long as the external diameter is 34,9?

correct, there are only 3 common sizes of seat collars(external diameter) there are other sizes, but not as many as the main 3. So regarless of your seatpost size, if the OD of the seattube is 34.9 you can use any 34.9 clamp

laurence313

by laurence313

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I think I just have to wait till the frame turns up and see if it has any v-brake bosses. The only reason I want to use v-brake is that I already have the brakes and hubs.

I originally thought the frame use a 34.9 clamp too because I know it has 31.6 seatpost. However I was reading through the technical manual on Klein's website which says otherwise.
Here is the manual: http://www.kleinbikes.com/assets/asset_ ... 4_1172.pdf :?: Can any Attitude rider confirm this?

I am currently planning what components to put on the bike - a combination of old and new parts. I hope to put up a list on here ASAP so you more experienced weight weenies can give me some advices. Hopefully, I can stop ordering the wrong parts of the internet.

Thanks
Laurence

chri5

by chri5

Then it is 36.4

Leeww

by Leeww

double post :oops:
Last edited by Leeww on Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeww

by Leeww

First up, the clamp is 36.4mm, this picture is from my 2004 attitude frame.

Secondly, Klein frames come with a seat clamp installed, and at 22g they are pretty good, change the standard steel bolt to a titanium and it's even lighter.

Michal

by Michal

Hi,

What headset do You have/use in Your Klein frame.

In my Klein I have Cane Creek IS-2, whitch is dimension 41mm, but I must get new headset, and I look for different than Cane Creek.

:)

laurence313

by laurence313

Hi fellow WW,

Thank you all for your replies. Since my last post, I have...

1. I have contacted Klein/Trek customer services, and they have confirmed that the Attitude Complete Bikes dont have v-brake bosses, but on the frameset, there will be! So I will be able to run Avid Ti.

2. I have got new parts, sold old parts, exchanged and cancelled wrong orders... and then I have this list of components all ready to put on the frame. See what you guys think,

Frame: Attitude (The most important, but yet to show)
HandleBar: FSA K-force lite carbon flat bar
Stem: FSA OS115
Fork: Fox F100x
Headset: Tune Bobo (Ordered, Still waiting, maybe a long wait)
Brake levers & shifters: XTR dual control
Brakes: Avid Ti
Grip: Extralite foam grip
Crankset: FSA K-force lite megaexo
BB: FSA megaexo
Seatpost: FSA K-force lite carbon post
Saddle: FSA K-force lite carbon shell
F & R derailleurs: XTR M960 long cage & XTR M961
Cassette: XTR
Tires: Maxxlite 310
Skewers: Tune
Pedals: Crank Bro Triple Ti

3. I see you have noticed that I am missing a pair of wheels!?! ... Well, thats because I have yet to get them. I have two options: Option 1: Extralite ExtraTerra Ti - really nice, really light but really expensive. Option 2: DT swiss 240s Hubs (which I already have) and Stan's ZTR355 rims and DT areolite spokes. This should give me a wheelset weighing around 1300g, is that right? ExtraTerra is advertised to be around 1150g.... I am not sure... what to get. Is it worth paying extra for those Extralite wheels?

Any comments, postive or negative, welcome!

Cheers,
Laurence

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Leeww

by Leeww

>>>>Frame: Attitude (The most important, but yet to show)

nice! :)

>>>>HandleBar: FSA K-force lite carbon flat bar

Easton EC90 CNT is lighter by about 20-30g

>>>>Stem: FSA OS115

Syntace F99 is around 35-45g lighter

>>>>Fork: Fox F100x

Not the lightest but nice indeed.

>>>>Headset: Tune Bobo (Ordered, Still waiting, maybe a long wait)
>>>>Brake levers & shifters: XTR dual control

Heavy !!!

>>>>Brakes: Avid Ti

nice

>>>>Grip: Extralite foam grip

nice

Crankset: FSA K-force lite megaexo
BB: FSA megaexo
Seatpost: FSA K-force lite carbon post
Saddle: FSA K-force lite carbon shell
F & R derailleurs: XTR M960 long cage & XTR M961
Cassette: XTR