Some questions about MT bikes from a total noob

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i'm coming from road, and my ideal size is a 53 ett, with a 110 stem and 80mm bar reach.
what size Mt bike would i be looking at?

i was also wondering if its possible to run campy road components?
i would be looking for a hard-tail with cantilever/side pull brakes bosses (not disk), and using drop bars.

just looking for something more upright, and fat-tired than traditional road bike position.
not doing any technical downhill or anything like that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scant

by scant

so you want to use campy road parts, you dont want disk brakes, you want to use drop bars & you dont want to ride technical downhills? I'd recommend a cyclo-x bike/ gravel grinder

Catagory6

by Catagory6

scant wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:26 pm
so you want to use campy road parts, you dont want disk brakes, you want to use drop bars & you dont want to ride technical downhills? I'd recommend a cyclo-x bike/ gravel grinder
Yeah, that would seem to make sense. Ive got a ritchey swiss cross. But it still feels a little too bent over.

Erwandy

by Erwandy

The legendary John Tomac steed. The very spec you mentioned point to this setup.

wingguy

by wingguy

Catagory6 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:43 pm
i would be looking for a hard-tail with cantilever/side pull brakes bosses (not disk), and using drop bars.

just looking for something more upright, and fat-tired than traditional road bike position.
I've gotta be honest, I'm somewhat confused about why you want to buy a bike from the early '90s. A lot of what you're describing is a modern gravel bike, but they're pretty much all disc brake now. Some Touring bikes may do the job, but it depends how fat you want the tyres to be.

Marin

by Marin

Some Gravel bikes can run up to 2.2" 650b tires. They will have disc brakes too though.

mattr

by mattr

Catagory6 wrote:
What size Mt bike would i be looking at?
Probably a 17.5"/medium frame. Except for your requirement to run drops, so you'll probably need a small frame to get the top tube anywhere near (MTBs tend to be several cm longer than an equivalent road frame)
Catagory6 wrote:
Almost certainly not. They don't make cranks that'll fit an MTB frame, might struggle with a front mech too.
Catagory6 wrote:
You need to be on retrobike. Not many/any current MTBs fulfill your requirements
Catagory6 wrote:
A small MTB frame (to get the ETT length/reach) will have a tiny headtube, so you'll either need a foot long steerer, or some other freakish front end set up.

As said before, get a gravel bike.
Then you can run campag, and discs (cable if you insist) and drops, and get a high front end. And run biggish tyres. Or 29ers, or fat 700c road/cross.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com