What to do with an S-Works Epic WC?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Bream wrote: (fashion)
Ha... we're on the same page... whether its NJ or Sweden... pimpin ain't easy :thumbup: :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bream

by Bream

:lol: :beerchug:

Jensa

by Jensa

the 0,5-1 degree maby will not make you decent faster, the behavior will be different. but that said, if the goal is to build a 1 kg lighter bike, it will not be a low price build.

what brakes do you have and what discs?

Bream

by Bream

Magura MT8 brakes and discs, had Ai2 discs on my spare wheel set but they’re slightly thinner which upsets the MT8 bite point!

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I have Formula R1Racing on mine with Avid 2 piece rotors. Performance is very good. Setup is light. Tried Ai2 rotors and they are pretty much useless. My feeling is anyone who tells you they can stop with Ai2 rotors is full of sh*t.

Bream

by Bream

I’ve actually been running Ashima disc for years for XC & CX with good results, it’s only the Magura setup that’s been problematic.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

wrote:Ashima disc with good results
:roll:

Erwandy

by Erwandy

Bream wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:24 am
I’ve actually been running Ashima disc for years for XC & CX with good results, it’s only the Magura setup that’s been problematic.
Same here. Been using Ashima Ai2 and Quaxar (both practically the same) since 2015. Over more than 10 race events - and with satisfying results with the brake setup

02GF74

by 02GF74

Rich_W wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:22 pm
Tried Ai2 rotors and they are pretty much useless. My feeling is anyone who tells you they can stop with Ai2 rotors is full of sh*t.
I'm 100% with you there and can add quaxar to the list. More of a gentle retardation and the wide holes in the braking surface would cause fork juddering and wear pads quickly.

The lightest best value disc with best stopping power I've found are deckas 2 piece rotors, heavier than the above but work. (I'm not a racing whippet, even less so after non stop Christmas feasting)

The original hope saw are the best stoppers with lowest weight but not cheap nor will work with formula and some sram callipers.

jooo

by jooo

Rich_W wrote:
My feeling is anyone who tells you they can stop with Ai2 rotors is full of sh*t.
You know what they say, opinions are like a'holes...

Rich_W

by Rich_W

jooo wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:30 am
Rich_W wrote:
My feeling is anyone who tells you they can stop with Ai2 rotors is full of sh*t.
You know what they say, opinions are like a'holes...
:thumbup: They sure are, but those rotors still suck

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I've used some very light steel and carbon rotors. To me Shimano IceTech are the benchmark for braking performance. My experience has been that the lightest rotors with performance close enough to Shimano to not feel like a significant downgrade are the Formula 1-piece that came with R1 and The One brakes. However, they don't seem to be made anymore and it was really hard to find a set for my build last summer. At the time I bought the last pair of 160s on the internet.

Those rotors with XTR Race brakes are light enough to be "weight weenie" but the performance isn't drastically different from the XTR Trails with IceTech rotors that I run on all my enduro and trail bikes.

In a flatter place, with a lighter rider, or if I didn't mind braking earlier I could live with Ashimas or Kettles but for me braking matters too much to make weight the first priority.

Bream

by Bream

For me that’s it, Horses for Courses as they say, I’d never consider Ashima for anything more than XC race. Ashimas work in this environment when braking is light and short.

If I was building anything bigger then I’d use different.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

:thumbup: All righty then...

I think I'm guilty of the greatest thread hijacking ever!!!

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joshpeck

by joshpeck

Is that a 180mm rotor on the front? smaller and lighter options might be a good move.