Budget Hardtail XC Build USD$1000 - 100% COMPLETED

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jemima

by jemima

Assuming you're using a Dremel handtool with bits for alot of tuning?

If so, which bits are you using?
Curve Grovel ti.

jooo

by jooo

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:47 am
How did you get the road and MTB shifting bits to play nice?
The shifter and RD are both 11s Ultegra if that's what you're referring to?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erwandy

by Erwandy

02GF74:
This project was meant to focus and built around the frame that I loved. The BMC TE05 Frame was the reason this project started. Perhaps on a separate project I may consider Hongfu MTB frames

bm0p700f:
LOL!. Yep those long hours. It's very tiring you know. But the results justify the pain

Nefarious86 & joo:
Yes, both the RD and Shifter are Ultergra's 11 Speed. The rest of Shimano 11 speed are identical in cassette spacing, mount points etc.

jemina:
Here's the tools that made this project possible :D

Erwandy

by Erwandy

Stage 5: Other Components

At this point. all the major work has been completed as you can see above - EXCEPT for wheelset of which for now I am running my old Training wheels. The Training wheels weighs 17XXg. When I have the time I will complete my custom built Stan's ZTR Podium MMX + DT Swiss Revolution Spokes + Affordable Hubs.

So here's the rest of the items:

Handlebar: $27
Toray carbon fiber flat bar from TOSEEK - a Chinese Open Mould component maker which makes very neat components at affordable Cost. The weight shown was after length tune-up to 620mm

Seatpost: Cost $29
From TOSEEK as well. Length tuned to usable heights and upgraded with Ti Bolts. This one is due for further weight reduction work when I have the time to further trim the aluminum clamps

Saddle: Cost $25
Another TOSEEK Product. I choose this one because it's flatter than the other available options - which I hope will mate well with my sit bones

Stem: Cost $36
I honestly forgot the brand name of this stem. But I believe it's a Taiwanese piece and I have replaced all 6 bolts with Ti. Some work done to shave and cut aluminum parts then painted in Flat Black

Seatclamp: Cost FREE
Stock BMC Seatclamp. No mods for now but I will shave it down to below 20g

Bottlecage: Cost $12
Very decent weight for Bontrager cage. No mods done here....yet

Disc Rotors: Cost $49
Quaxar 160mm rotors from Taiwan. Very similar to Ashima :lol:

Rear Caliper Mount: Cost FREE
Included in the brakeset package, this was a single unit rear caliper mount. I cut them in two separate pieces and trim down the weight. Then replace the bolts with Ti (4x)

QR Skewers: Cost $12
Chinese RISK Titanium QR Skewers. VERY well built despite the low price

Pedals: Cost $29
Another Taiwanese component, Zeray. Currently modded to operate on single sided cleat clamps. SPD compatible. Will work on to reduce the weight to just below 200g soon by grinding off excess material on the axis

Grips: Cost FREE
LitePro Taiwanese Grips. Neat and comfy

Headset: Cost $13
Another very neat LitePro product - and very light!

And here's the current statistics on the build:

The target is 8.4KG operating weight on Race Setup with the ZTR Podium wheelset later. I got the rims, DT spokes and Alu nipples for an unbelievable $29 off another MTBer who was upgrading to 29er:p

And behold! I present you Osprey 26 - she's ready to rock
ImageImageImage

Last edited by Erwandy on Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

robotec

by robotec

Amazing build, so many hours spent.
:beerchug:
Enjoy the ride

Erwandy

by Erwandy

robotec wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:30 pm
Amazing build, so many hours spent.
:beerchug:
Enjoy the ride

:beerchug: you too:

Here's the shifting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrDHSiFrTw

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Are those brake levers just the stock ones that have been tuned beyond belief, or did you fabricate completely new levers? The curvature doesn't seem to match stock, so I didn't think you just Dremeled them out. P.S. Another poster asked what Dremel bits you have been using. I'd like to second that request for more info on your Dremel process.

Erwandy

by Erwandy

TheKaiser wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:37 am
Are those brake levers just the stock ones that have been tuned beyond belief, or did you fabricate completely new levers? The curvature doesn't seem to match stock, so I didn't think you just Dremeled them out. P.S. Another poster asked what Dremel bits you have been using. I'd like to second that request for more info on your Dremel process.
Yes they are the very same levers. Because they contain so much meat to begin with, I was able to carve the shape I wanted.

If you check my earlier replies I have posted pics of my power tools and the deburring bits. I use 12000rpm Luxor rotary tool with a set of 10pcs 3mm tungsten coated deburring shanks. Easily available at eBay

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

Awesome details and a lot of hard work. Great post
Lars K. P.

Erwandy

by Erwandy

Lars K. P. wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:05 am
Awesome details and a lot of hard work. Great post
Thanks. I will be doing the ZTR Podium MMX wheelset a day after Christmas. Happy Holidays all :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

tarmackev

by tarmackev

That’s a real work of art. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jooo

by jooo

I like the effort, but surely the stem and cranks are more than a bit dicey?

Erwandy

by Erwandy

jooo wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:17 pm
I like the effort, but surely the stem and cranks are more than a bit dicey?
Time will tell. My estimates - I am 57kg and will rarely go over 58kg. Which means I rely heavily on spinning the crankset rather than power pedaling them. Spinning the crankset exert less force and goes easy to the hip flexor. Shortening the crankarms makes them stronger too - because what you don't see in the pic is the weld joint that act as an additional ridge at the back to brace the pedal mount point. Furthermore this is my 5th crankset that I have them shortened and welded. Back in 2105 for the whole race season I raced eight XCM events with a 160mm shortened crankset (Aerozine X Light) and it stood the abuse quite well.

As for the stem :lol: :lol: I must admit that's the first time I mod them like that hahaha. Purely experimental. But looking at the short length of 70mm, the stem does have some meat to it on the lower side so I calculated drilling a hole on the top will not mess the integrity (again judged by my light operating weight). BUT I will never allow anyone above 65kg to ride my bike in this current setup - that's very dicey :mrgreen:

njleach

by njleach

Amazing work - well done!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Erwandy

by Erwandy

njleach wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:25 am
Amazing work - well done!