THM Clavicula M3 -- Crank arm to spider engagement?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

drasnian

by drasnian

Hi all.

I'm mulling over a new crankset for XC. Looking at the Clavicula M3, I can't work out how the drive side crank arm secures to the spider to drive the rings. The spider has depressions in it, and it looks like the 4 crank arm 'fingers' may just sit in their seats in the spider. Surely that is not all (?) If it is all, then am I correct in thinking that the only thing holding the drive side crank against the spider is the tensile load on the spindle supplied by the bearing preload on the non-drive side crank arm?

Surely not. Please tell me there is some sensible mechanism by which the crank can provide torque to the spider.

Cheers,
Simon

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

The image of a spider from THM website shows an interface very similar to Specialized and Lightning, I bet it's compatible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The M3 road and mtb versions are completely different. The splined mtb spider is secured with a lockring - it has nothing to do with bearing preload. But I don't know if the spider has the exact same pattern as Specialized/Lightning.

FWIW, I prefer the narrower Q factor of the road cranks on my XC bike, so I run a double chainring on M3 road cranks, with both being 5-bolt 58bcd, the same pattern as the road spider attachment. I use a standard granny for the inner, and a larger custom made 58bcd chainring as the outer. Both rings are secured into the arm with 14mm long titanium chainring bolts. 5mm spacers between the rings. Works very well, and a definite WW win.

drasnian

by drasnian

UpFromOne wrote:The splined mtb spider is secured with a lockring
Ah, so that circular metal piece on the base of the spindle (in the photos) is the lock ring? So it's just a case of take it off, chuck the spider on, then screw the lock ring back down against the spider (?)
UpFromOne wrote:FWIW, I prefer the narrower Q factor of the road cranks on my XC bike, so I run a double chainring on M3 road cranks, with both being 5-bolt 58bcd, the same pattern as the road spider attachment.
What's your XC bike? What Q-factor do the road cranks give you?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

OP, yes, that is how it works.

M3 Road with a 22/36 on a climbing 29er hardtail: