Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 am 

Frame: - Scott Spark Ltd fully sanded and carbon polished, link and shock bolts replaced with alloy/titanium, shock axles hollowed further, additional machine work and internal carbon section done to the headtube to allow a tapered steerer to fit, some polishing done to the brake mount and other aluminium metal areas of the frame , built in seatpost had to be cut and then carefully measured and drilled two holes (one slightly lower) to fit seat pin and then top sections machined into a curve to allow a cradle to be fitted all for a saddle installation without installing a heavy ISP and bosses filled with 4 aluminium Ashima rotor bolts machined heavily in the lathe and stems shortened and deburred

Rear Shock - DT Swiss carbon shock with lever removed and hexagonal adjustment fitted and certain areas machined away and polished

Fork - Lauf fork - most of the paint work sanded away, brake mount smachined down to allow 160disc to be fitted and legs cut away and shortened and wrapped with 12 layers of UD carbon and kevlar twaron mix and carbon extention plug made from scratch and fitted to extend steerer

Headset - Chris King in blue with top race removed

Stem - Extralite -12 degrees in stealth version

Top cap - Carbonice carbon UD cap machined down to shorten

Bars - New Ultimate, shortened and clearcoat in the center sanded away and carbon polished

Grips - black Extralite grips shortened in the lathe

Brakes - Magura MT8 carbon brakes with clamps replaced with BFO carbon composite clamps - right clamp is to allow shifter to bolt onto the brake clamp so some base ridge machined away and some additional work to be done to allow to lock with Shimano XT shifter, m5 threads tapped to allow the use of standard style bolts (in this case red 7075 CarbonTi alluminium bolts), bleed nipples and hose connecting bolts replaced with custom aluminium anodised gold fixings, pad pins replaced with custom titanium gold pins and brake pads replaced with aluminium versions, sticker removed and hoses shortened and caliper bolts replaced with Extralite titanium bolts shortened in the lathe

Rear brake adaptor - KCNC lightweight adaptor with all anodsing removed and adaptor machined down to save weight then highly polished

Wheelset - DT Swiss frpnt hub and Easton Haven rear hub laced onto front DT Swiss 3k carbon rim and rear Easton EA90 carbon rim finished with gold nipples, rear hub disc area machined down to three disc bolt tabs, DT Swiss front hub QR axle and bearings removed and replaced with custom 15mm conversion kit with ceramic bearings

Velo plugs for the rims

Bolt thru front axle - carbon axle with both ends machined down in the lathe and allen key end rounded and highly polished

Rear skewer - Tune U20 shortened and deburred and grub screw removed

Shifter cable - blue Powercordz cut to length

Shifter - XT 10 spd shifter with mount machined off and small ridges cut at top to allow the shifter to lock into place with the modified BFO clamp, release trigger machined down and thumb shifter drilled through into an oval shape and then deburred with sanding drum and then highly polished and then Extralite bolt fitted to secure onto BFO clamp

Derailleur - XT clutch derailleur with clutch cover polished to a shine and logo removed and steel bolts replaced with m3 carbon fibre bolts cut down in the lathe, derailleur cage removed and certain areas machined away, anodising partly removed then cage reattached and pin gently hammered back into place, fixing bolt and pivot arm bolt replaced with XTR aluminium hollowed bolts, pivot arm higly machined down, limit and tension screws replaced with aluminium, jockey wheels replaced with carbon fibre wheels and ceramic bearings and red aluminium bolts, jockey inner arm replaced with handmade carbon arm, machined to a design and drilled for bolt holes, pinch bolt replaced with Extralite titanium bolt

Cranks - FSA cranks with all clearcoat sanded off and carbon polished, granny ring tabs machined away and deburred, crank bolt replaced with custom aluminium red bolt machined down in the lathe and star shape created

BB - Token Tiramic bearings in gold

Pedals - Extremely modified Reset Racing pedals with the body sections rounded into a design, all anodising removed, certain area cut away and deburred, one bearing removed from each pedal and replaced with hand made delrin spacers, axles replaced with titanium and heavily hollowed out, end caps reomved and sanding drum used to shape internal areas, plates replaced with carbon fibre and 4 bolts removed per pedal, pedal bodies then dipped in acid to removed any debris then highly polished - from 420grams down to 179grams the lightest flats in the world for their size

Chainring - Extralite Octaone in custom hard wearing bronze anodising and Parts of Passion blue chainring bolts

Chain - YBN titanium chain with Ti nitride coating shortened to length

Cassette - Recon black aluminium cassette

Lockring - KCNC anodised gold 7075T6 aluminium

Discs - Scrub Raceday rotors with three arms machined away from rear rotor

Saddle - AX Lightness Phoenix saddle with clear coat removed and sanded to 2000 grit paper, 24ct gold AX logo carefully cut and then epoxied near the back and then after curing gently sanded and every part of the logo gently machined to allow a 3D effect and then saddle carbon polished, MCFK seat pin, screws and yoke clamps

Schwalbe Evo tubes

Schwalbe Furious Fred tyres with lighty sanded tread and small areas removed with special tread cutter.

For all other pictures you can visit my G+ page :

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+SebKMTB

Last edited by SK5 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Posted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:37 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 am 

Only 2 of your pictures are working.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:33 pm 

That's weird . It works fine on the desktop but on the phone it only shows two pictures :noidea: .

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:58 am 

SK5 wrote:
That's weird . It works fine on the desktop but on the phone it only shows two pictures :noidea: .

Check out file access settings, most likely you did not allow for other people to see it and it works fine for you because files are yours after all.

On a bike note: awesome, you are always in a league of your own! Can't wait to see the parts list and tuning details, I'm sure there'd be some neat tricks to incorporate into my own build. How do you like a short-travel Lauf on a FS bike? With those skinny tires and travel amount the bike looks more like a gravel flat bar bike (or old-school XC, lol).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 am 

Klaster1 wrote:
SK5 wrote:

Check out file access settings, most likely you did not allow for other people to see it and it works fine for you because files are yours after all.

On a bike note: awesome, you are always in a league of your own! Can't wait to see the parts list and tuning details, I'm sure there'd be some neat tricks to incorporate into my own build. How do you like a short-travel Lauf on a FS bike? With those skinny tires and travel amount the bike looks more like a gravel flat bar bike (or old-school XC, lol).

The Lauf works well on this bike . I modified it to shorten it as I don't like long travel suspension . The tyres are quite narrow indeed but these tyres are purely for weight weenie results . I wouldn't use them all the time . My Maxxis 285 tyres have better grip but they are on another weight weenie bike .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:42 pm 

----

Last edited by SK5 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:00 am 

A very impressive weight, well done.
I must admit to expecting it to feel funny riding with the mismatch between the front and rear suspension systems in terms of the character of spring and damping, but would be prepared to be proven wrong.
As a matter of principle I only weigh a bike as ridden (in terms of core parts, ignoring lights or similar, so effectively as sold and with pedals) I don't see the point of things like tyres just for bragging rights if you don't actually use them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm 

TheRookie wrote:
A very impressive weight, well done.
I must admit to expecting it to feel funny riding with the mismatch between the front and rear suspension systems in terms of the character of spring and damping, but would be prepared to be proven wrong.
As a matter of principle I only weigh a bike as ridden (in terms of core parts, ignoring lights or similar, so effectively as sold and with pedals) I don't see the point of things like tyres just for bragging rights if you don't actually use them.

Fair points . The tyres aren't the grippiest . I used them a couple of times on a different bike just to try them and they weren't great . My Maxxis 285 tyres are better but they are on my other bike . Regarding the Lauf it is just essentially fibrelgass reinforced strips that bascialy make up the suspension so no adjustments . It rebounds slowly which I think as its more controlled it feels good . There is no lockout but I don't see the point of lockout on a bike made with suspension . I do have my eye on the German:A Xcite Zero as it's only 98grams more but from what I have heard from others their weights are a bit off . I might get it next year just to see .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:41 am 

I have changed the title as I got the bike lighter and have posted a full list . I think I remembered everything :lol: !!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:55 am 

@SK5, did you weight the seatpost lock assembly? I couldn't find any relevant photos in G+. The Darimo bolts (full-length thread), barrels and CF yokes are ~16.3g in total, maybe you can shave a couple of grams there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 am 

Klaster1 wrote:
@SK5, did you weight the seatpost lock assembly? I couldn't find any relevant photos in G+. The Darimo bolts (full-length thread), barrels and CF yokes are ~16.3g in total, maybe you can shave a couple of grams there.

No unfortunately not but I will weigh them . I have heard of Darimo . I will check them out . Cheers :) !!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:31 am 

Right I looked online and found these weights:

MCFK Pin = 9 grams
MCFK yoke clamps = 3.9*2
MCFK bolts = 3.4*2 (I also cut them down and machined the heads in the lathe so lets say 3grams each)

So that totals 22.8 so I would save 6.5 grams . I also have the AX Lightness carbon cradle which adds another 8 grams . I looked at their site and they make some pretty cool stuff . Similar to MCFK but a little lighter .

Cheers again for letting me know about them .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:48 am 

SK5 wrote:
So that totals 22.8 so I would save 6.5 grams .

The weights I've quotted don't include the pin because it's bonded to the CF tube, see the album.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:03 am 

Klaster1 wrote:
SK5 wrote:
So that totals 22.8 so I would save 6.5 grams .

The weights I've quotted don't include the pin because it's bonded to the CF tube, see the album.

Ah I see . So the pin and cradle both come to 17 grams . If I add them to the Darimo parts that comes to 33.3 grams . My setup is 30.8 grams . Still I want to buy the Darmio parts now . They look cool . I like the carbon yoke clamps . Maybe for my next project (carbon fat bike) .

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 pm 

SK5 wrote:
Frame: - , built in seatpost had to be cut and then carefully measured and drilled two holes (one slightly lower) to fit seat pin and then top sections machined into a curve to allow a cradle to be fitted all for a saddle installation without installing a heavy ISP and bosses filled with 4 aluminium Ashima rotor bolts machined heavily in the lathe and stems shortened and deburred

I did spot that when your photos were working and have to question if that is safe. All the posts that use that type of fitment I have, have a aluminium alloy insert bonded as additional strength for the pin and the craddle. The wall of the carbon ISP tube are thin and it was never designed to take the loads that you are now applying to them.

I would recommend you strengthen that area as I can see the pin ripping out of the ISP.

Also I'd like to hear how that fork perform in muddy conditions. :?

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:29 pm