carbon saddle rails and clamps

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

many seatposts have a bottom clamp whose full width contacts the saddle but with two narrow upper clamps (1). The result being a scissor type action which I've read is a no-no for carbon railed saddled.

Is there an after market top piece that will support a wider part of the rail? The best top clamps I've found is again posted below. Is there another option e.g. using a semi-circular alloy tube to cover the rail? (3)

Also re. the cylindrical top clamps as in (1) - they are thinner hence look weaker than the wider ones (3) - should I be worried about them failing?

Examples of each are below
1, narrow top clamps

2. wide top clamp, much more support for rails.

3. wider top clamps

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

02GF74 wrote:The result being a scissor type action which I've read is a no-no for carbon railed saddled.

I've been running this type of clamp across several bikes (road/mtb), carbon-railed saddles and seatposts and nothing bad happened at all. A lot of other member do the same too.

02GF74 wrote:Is there an after market top piece that will support a wider part of the rail?

Berk's seatpost will probably have one (see this post, towards the end), Jure also makes a similar custom top-clamp.