grips - once again

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

I've tried been out different lightweight grips and think I have found the ones that offer good cushioning, large diameter, light weight and good price. Many lightweight grips achieve low weight by being thin, which is no good if you have big hands or else use low density foam - the latter types I tried but after 5 minutes they squeeze down so that the handlebar can be felt, which defeats the object.

The ones I'm talking about are shown below.
They are high density foam so retain their shape, diameter fitted is 30 mm and weigh in at 17 g without end plugs , 21 g with.

Best perhaps of all is they cost £ 1.35 - cheaper if bought in pairs. Note the 5% discount is not applied to buying 3 or more.
Only downside they are a bastard to fit - but by using loads of water/washing up liquid mix they will go on, for sure they will stay put better than any lock-ons.

ebay item: 372017521769
search for: High Density Handlebar Silica Gel Silicone Foam Mountain Bike Grips Soft Sponge

btw just seen item 382150995776 which appears to be the same but for £ 0.99 (will buy a pair and report back).

... and these are the same for £ 1.08, now I feel cheated :(

Last edited by 02GF74 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I like the Ritchey foam grips, they have a slight barrel shape to fit your hands, come in circa 45g and 25g weights depending on your choice.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

02GF74

by 02GF74

Re ritchey grips - what is the distance across the flats?

I looked at that type but found the diameter too small.

Unbrokenchain

by Unbrokenchain

Are these grips any different than ESI?

02GF74

by 02GF74

Hmm, good question. It so happens that I have a bike with esi fitted (I recognise the logo on the end plugs).

Will have a look tomorrow.

One unknown is longevity of the cheap eBay grips..... ask me in 6 months time :)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

02GF74 wrote:Hmm, good question. It so happens that I have a bike with esi fitted (I recognise the logo on the end plugs).

Will have a look tomorrow.

One unknown is longevity of the cheap eBay grips..... ask me in 6 months time :)

I picked up a set of the same (or very similar) grips to your ebay ones off of Aliexpress. They seemed very similar to the ESIs, in that they claim to be a silicone foam, at a price that was pretty stellar in comparison. I haven't actually had them side by side though, so please report back once you have done a side by side comparison.

I haven't had the opportunity to really put mine to use yet, so I can't offer any longevity feedback either.

02GF74

by 02GF74

Feeling wise both are very similar, difference being that esi are slightly bigger at 32 mm and a matt as opposed to shiny finish.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

The foam on cheap eBay grips can vary wildly. I took a shot but mine turned out to be harder than they look, and not supportive of the hands.

Also whilst on eBay take a gander at the long tubes of foam grip, they are good for a few pairs when you cut to length.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

I was using foam grips - ofcourse there are many types but two I tried were much much too soft resulting in deformation