Minimalist Di2 groupset - will this work? Di2 expert needed!

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

grover

by grover

A busted right hand means left hand shifting is needed. Di2 is the only option. I've ridden SRAM for 15 years and haven't kept up to date with Shimano. Can anyone tell me if this will work or if I need more parts/wires/connections/junction boxes?

SM-EW90-A junction box under stem
SW-M8050 left hand shifter connected to SM-EW90-A junction box at stem with EW-SD50 wire
BT-DN110 battery in steerer tube connected to SM-EW90-A junction box at stem with EW-SD50-I wire
RD-M8050-GS rear derailleur connected to SM-EW90-A junction box at stem with EW-SD50-I wire
SM-BCR1 battery charger and SM-BCC1 charger cord

Will that setup still allow wireless configuration from an ipad with e-tube software?
Will I be able to charge the system through SM-EW90-A junction box at the stem?
Will I be able to put the system into adjustment mode at SM-EW90-A junction box at stem?

I want to keep it as minimal as possible and don't want a display.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorapido

by motorapido

Grover,
Yes it will work, and you can charge and micro adjust with the SM-EW90-A, only bit i'm not sure on is the Ipad setup.
Although some setup can be done with the SM-BCR1 battery charger,

grover

by grover

Excellent.

It looks like SM-BCR2 is a better choice for the charger.

I'll keep investigating the wireless capabilities. I suspect I'll also need a wireless unit in the system like EW-WU111. In that case I'm probably better off just buying the MT800 display which accounts for the junction box and the wireless unit. Can anyone shed any light on that?

havana

by havana

Yes, you need a EW-WU111 unit (aka D-Fly), otherwise it will not communicate wirelessly to for instance an iPad or a cycling computer.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

grover

by grover

But if I got MT800 display instead of SM-EW90-A as the 'junction box' then I wouldn't need the EW-WU111 as the MT800 does wireless communication itself?

egebhardt

by egebhardt

Yes. The MT800 Screen contains the BlueTooth chip needed for wiresless config.
Eric in San Carlos, CA

egebhardt

by egebhardt

This is my formula:

SC-M9050 - screen
SW-R600 - climbing switch
SM-BMR1 - i pull the chip out and tape it to the frame
Battery - anything you can find on Ebay for $6 connected to the chip from the BMR1
RD-M9050 - rear der
FD-M9070 (2x) or FD-M9050 (3x)

This setup is much cheaper but I don't have wireless configuration and I don't care. I have the SM-PCE1 hooked to a computer for that.
Eric in San Carlos, CA

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

grover wrote:BT-DN110 battery in steerer tube

My concern would be 1. Having enough room in the steerer tube, and 2. Getting the E-TUBE cable in there past the plug/star nut.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by 4536

IrrelevantD wrote:

My concern would be 1. Having enough room in the steerer tube, and 2. Getting the E-TUBE cable in there past the plug/star nut.

Trickstuff Deckele top cap and "not a star-nut" (weighs 12 grams)

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

4536 wrote:
IrrelevantD wrote:

Trickstuff Deckele top cap and "not a star-nut" (weighs 12 grams)

Ok, after some looking on the inter webs, I’m fascinated. I didn’t even know that steerer battery mounting was a thing. There are a few companies selling similar. I find PRO’s solution with the integrated battery mount/expander plug/top cap particularly intriguing.

Won’t help me now, and I’m still not sure if I have a long enough steerer, but definitely would have made the buildup easier.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vertigo Cycles

by Vertigo Cycles

FYI, I bricked an XTR display by trying to update it with the iPad app. I'm an OE customer of theirs and when I called for support, I was told that the app was never meant for that purpose and I should have used the PCE1 AND that they wouldn't offer support until I connected all the components to the PCE1 and ran diagnostics. I was then and continue to be flummoxed by this.

But another option if you're feeling crafty is to use an EWrs910 as your j-box/charging port/setup button with the EWWU111 in-line bluetooth unit.

I don't know how to embed Instagram...sorry but if you want to check out my solution, it's here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BW08JEsgz1L ... tigocycles

There should be a bunch of other photos of that build showing or hinting at how I hid the battery as well, but that's certainly not an option for everyone.