Pedal Advice

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Does the trail version Shimano SPD pedals really offer more contact area than the race version when firmly clipped in?

I had bone spur removed from top of my right foot few years ago therefore some of the nerves are still less than perfect. While I have absolutely no problem riding my road bike with SPD-SL for hours, a bad hot spot which leads to nerve pain often developed within an hour riding my mtb. I have XTR SPD 'Race' on my mtb and I wear relative stiff Sidi Dragon shoes.

I've been thinking about switching to a pedal with bigger contact area can reduce or even eliminate my problem on mtb. However I'm not sure if the extra contact area on trail pedals is really there when firmly clipped in or it is just beneficial when riding un-clipped.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The larger platform is only really a benefit if your shoe contacts it, I think they're designed with a trail style flat bottom shoe in mind so your sidi's might not actually connect to the cage. I notice a little more support is there vs standard spds, but I ride Spesh 2fo cliplite shoes. The real benefit to me is the platform when riding unclipped

The Saint SPD's look like they would give more support, but also look heavy as hell!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I have both versions and I can definitely feel more planted on trail pedals. I use Shimano's XC90 shoes.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I don't have the XTRs but I do have both versions of the XTs and I can't tell any difference personally. The cage just helps you clip back in when you unclip to dab on a corner or tricky bit.

I'd be tempted to say the shoe you use is possibly more influential here than the pedals. I have both carbon-soled MTB shoes and more trail based shoes and they feel quite different on the bike. Might be worth a try?