Sliding foam grips

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

romaosl

by romaosl

Any one had problems with sliding foam grips? I tried hairspray and paper glue, and nothing work. Perhaps shoe glue? Will it ruin my carbon handlebars?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Never had an issue, slightly roughen the surface of the bar to give a key using something like 1000 grit and then hairspray, works fine for me. The grips on my commuter have been like that for 7 years now (yes the same grips).
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Have you given the hairspray time to dry? I usually let it sit overnight, then they will stay put!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

romaosl

by romaosl

I waited overnight, about 12 hours. Perhaps I got the wrong hairspray?

It's a lightweight 136g carbon handlebar, I wouldn't want to roughen it. I'm afraid that it would weaken it.

ms6073

by ms6073

As hairspray usually remedies most grip issues, I am thinking either the bar's outer diameter or grip inner diameter is off/non-standard. Who manufactured the handlebar - name brand or Chinese open-mold? How loose were the grips prior to using hair spray? As a last resort, you might try building up the ends of the bars by applying a couple wraps of double-sided carpet tape, misting the exposed adhesive with alcohol, then immediately sliding on the grips.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

romaosl

by romaosl

The handlebars are an Easton EC90 SL, and the foam grip is from KCNC. It's just a tiny bit loose, but a little annoying. Usable, but annoying. They become slippery after some rainy days. Before they had some kind of glue in the inside when they where new and installed for the first time.

I will try to find some tape of that type.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I have some unpleasant, but relevant experience. tldr: usa PVA glue or hair spray to fix grips in place, you can inject vodka/spirit with syringe into grips to remove them, add some beef to bars with plastic tape as needed.

My previous Easton Heaven / Hypergrips combo was a pain to setup. Extralite grips don't hold in place by their own at all, so I had to glue them on. Hair spray did not work, so I used PVA glue, but even this took two attempts because of residue fat/whatever, nothing some vodka rubbing can't solve. Been fine for a couple of years. Now, several months ago I've upgraded to Darimo bars and these seem to have a tiny bit smaller diameter than Easton, which caused even more pain, for a whole week the following became my daily routine: inject vodka into grips to slide them off, rub residue away from both surfaces, leave to dry, glue grips on. I've tried various mixtures of strong/weak PVA, at best this lead to partially glued on grips. This continued until I decided to wrap bar ends with a layer of Tesa 4289 tape (which I also use for rims), then grips stayed in place after a mere hair spray. Since then, I've been through several heavy rains and grips do not slide or come off in any places.

silvalis

by silvalis

Failing all of that, have you tried other foam grips? eg, ritchey?
Chasse patate

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Carbon fibre (well the matrix material) is very slippery, lightly roughening the outer surface has zero effect on strength but will provide a key for the hairspray to grip to. Maybe the surface on yours is contaminated, so try cleaning with rubbing alcohol before applying first if you are paranoid about the strength aspect.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

try to use tube repair glue,should work fine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romaosl

by romaosl

Actually, what it did work was the handlebar wrapped with normal transparent tape, and the hairspray for easy sliding in.

What it did not work was:
Paint tape + hairspray (or alcohol)
Duct tape + hairspray (or alcohol)
Paper glue