Front chainring position

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

02GF74

by 02GF74

I have a Mondraker podium bike that has gone through a couple of iterations in the never ending quest to reduce the weight (9'44 kg currently). It is set up as 1x11 using SRAM components.

The last change dropped 40 g by replacing the SRAM X0 GXP chainset by SRAM carbon BB30 with the same direct mount 32T chainring, 6mm offset. This results in very little clearance between chainring and frame, about 1 mm. I put on a strip of insulation tape over the alloy protector and it got marked, not unexpectedly, due to flex.

Using a square piece of box section aluminium against the chainring, it lines up perfectly with the middle sprocket on the cassette which I think is correct. The cranks are about the same distance from the frame which is a good sign.

The small amount of clearance does not worry me but nethertheless I since made a spacer, 0.8 mm thick, to move the chainring a bit further out but am wondering if I should fit a chainring with less offset e.g. 3 mm?

Is my assumption that the chainring should line up with the middle of the cassette correct? I'd rather not move the chain out further as the terrain I ride seems to favour the larger sprockets.
md2.jpg

CycloTron

by CycloTron

I would have thought that 1mm clearance with a 32T chainring would indicate something is not quite right.
What if you then wanted to go to a 34 or 36T chainring?
No way that would fit with your current setup and the bike should be able to comfortably accommodate such sizes.

Maybe check whether you need some BB spacers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com