School Me on Must Have Features for Single Speed 29er

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I use an eb on mine it works fine.

Carbon forks work fine but to avoid the need for 3" tyres try a narrow 2.3" tyre on wide rims(35mm) with schwable pro core. The effe t is fairly similar i can roll over must stuff that i cant without pro core.

Uphill my single speed is quicker than my geraed bike simplg because i have no choice but to charge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dirtperson666

by Dirtperson666

I mean, ebbb gives you the most amount of gear options versus a drop out based tension system, but it also comprises. Remember that first gen of niners that basically always loosened? Ebb def the best option for a SS retrofit, but there are definitely more elegant and effective solutions, especially if you're going for a new bike.
I've set up a few ebb. Varies rider to rider if they keep up keeping it adjusted properly.

mattr

by mattr

Dirtperson666 wrote:Ebb def the best option for a SS retrofit,
How would an EBB be a retrofittable component. You need a compatible frame.

Dirtperson666

by Dirtperson666

There are a number of ebb available for pf30 and bb30 retro fit. Done a number of SS set ups on cross bikes with vertical drop outs in the past few months as people seem to really be getting into the
sscx thing here. Compression fit and expansion lock to prevent slipping, basic derlins that then house a bb.

mattr

by mattr

Ah, gotcha. Sounds like a ridiculous solution. Must need some horrendous levels of friction to stop them moving.

Dirtperson666

by Dirtperson666

Oh it's sooo bad! It's fine in a bb30 frame but pf30.. basically had a machined metal sleeve gasket makered in place and milled down the ebb piece so it wasnt permanently ruining the frame.

That being said, I honestly think rocker drops are the most user friendly tension system. Not as clean looking as ebb though, but you can get it pretty light with ti options from paragon etc.

Jim313

by Jim313

Gotta have a bell for passing on every bike!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Ive ridden nothing but ECBB for 5 years, never loosened once. Current build ( viewtopic.php?f=10&t=145369 ) has a brand new S-Works Epic frame running single speed, works flawlessly.

My opinion is strong bars, strong stem, and the right gear ratio for how you pedal. Im a power rider, cant get my cadence above 130, so i grind gears. Others prefer to spin so keep that in mind.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My frame has a proper ebb. I tried a carver first and it was useless. I have a bushnells currently and it has never loosened. It is a great soluion withaframe made for ebb's.

02GF74

by 02GF74

BikeAnon wrote:"Must have" on a MTB.......

Gears.

;)

+1
Needed unless the terrain you ride is devoid of hills. I love my 1x11 10-42 set up but could do with a larger sprocket, that will become more needy as I get older (or drop to 30T or 28T on the front).