Frame set weight question Scott Spark Ultimate 700 vs Spark 700 Plus tuned

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

el condor

by el condor

Hi, need to decide today, could anyone give me the weight of the frame set (including front and rear suspension) of a 2017 Scott Spark 700 Ultimate and a Scott Spark 700 Plus tuned? As the Plus version has a 130mm front travel could that be the only weight difference?
And also, could the Plus version also being ridden with no boost set-up as the 700 Ultimate?
Thanks

wingguy

by wingguy

If you're thinking of running the Spark Plus with normal wheels and tyres just remember that there are decent geometry differences with the Plus (chainstay length, BB drop, stack) which mean it won't ride and handle the same as the normal Spark regardless of fork and wheel choices. Might not neccesarily be bad, but definitely will be different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

el condor

by el condor

Yes I'm planning to ride the Plus with no Plus wheels/tires and no boost. the reason to do so is the bigger variety of wheels and tires that can be ridden with. I may ride at times in places where a 29-ner would be better used so I could just swap.
Has anyone ever tried to get the decals of the frame to just have it Black?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Wait.

So are you planning on running the 700 Plus as a 650b bike?

That seems like a really, really bad idea. Pedal strikes galore.

I'd either run it as a 650b+ or 29er.

silvalis

by silvalis

I ride a 720 plus on 2.8 rekons and it's pretty easy to pedal strike already.

I'd run it was a 29er on boost hubs.

There were pictures a while back of brendog running a 700 plus with a 150 or 160 fork up front and regular width 650b tyres, but thats a different story altogether
Chasse patate

el condor

by el condor

Sorry my bad English, what means pedal strikes galore? Ok now I got it, well the plus Tuned is 10mm lower, will this already be galore with regular 27,5?

silvalis

by silvalis

A 27.5+ is maybe 10mm smaller diameter than a 29x2.35. A 27.5x2.35 is at least 25-30mm smaller diameter than the 27.5+ - so if you put 27.5 wheels on a spark plus frame you will drop the bb 10-15mm lower.

To address your original questions, the spark 7xx and spark plus framesets are different. The spark plus is closer to the 9xx frame (never managed to figure out if it was the same).

Just had a look at the geo charts - the 7xx tuned has a bb height of 325mm. the spark plus is 329mm.
If you put 27.5 tyres on the plus, you will drop the bb down to maybe 315-320mm? Probably too low. But you might be good at pedaling over rocks? And maybe put shorter cranks on?
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

el condor

by el condor

I got your point, not sure yet which way to go. But id bb too low it will of course always be bothering.
what about the colour stripes, could those be easily taken off?