XTR DI2 on my 2017 Scalpel

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wheely

by Wheely

When I bought my Scalpel it had already been converted to 1x11. However as I want to include road riding and possibly marathon races into my agenda, I want to switch back to 2x11 with the synchro shift (1 lever setup only). All previously removed parts were included when I purchased the bike.

I fitted all the items however the front mech wasn't shifting out quite enough to get chain on the large chainring. Using the on-board controller you can micro-adjust rear mech, but doesn't allow front mech adjustments. Only manual adjustments on derailleur are marked H1 & H2 which I presume are the end stops.

Anyone know how this is done? Does it have to be via a laptop ?? And how would I acquire the software?
Also if anyone has same bike - does the front derailleur mount directly onto the frame or are there spacers? Just seems without any stand-offs you cant quite get the unit low enough (so sitting about 3mm above largest ring).

Thanks

Curious George

by Curious George

Instructions are on shimano's tech doc site as to how to set up including front derailleur setup. Yes it has physical stops but the tuning is done through the adjustment settings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Wheely wrote:I fitted all the items however the front mech wasn't shifting out quite enough to get chain on the large chainring. Using the on-board controller you can micro-adjust rear mech, but doesn't allow front mech adjustments. Only manual adjustments on derailleur are marked H1 & H2 which I presume are the end stops.

The onboard control box does allow you to trim the front mech as well as the rear mech. However, you need to first shift the rear mech to the innermost cog and then turn on the adjustment mode for the front mech trim to operate.

FD section starts page 68. http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-XTR001-09-ENG.pdf

Dirtperson666

by Dirtperson666

You might have to account for sag when setting up the FD on the full sus. Half the time I have the chain bottoming out on the cage in extreme cross chain gear (little/little) that gets evened out once a ride is on.
Just a thought. You might need shim the FD or reset the FD mount. I've seen that done on the new scalpel as well.

ooo

by ooo

to setup big chainring you need to use adjustment bolt (electronic front adjustment only for small chainring)

for my crankset chainlines adjustment range was not enough, so i have to move bb spacers a little...
Attachments
fd-066.gif
fd-067.gif
'