Monarch XX vs Fox Float DPS (remote lock)

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PanaRob

by PanaRob

Looking to swap to a new rear shock on my Niner Jet 9 with remote lock. It can be sketchy to try and switch the damper when moving fast or on technical trail, sans the want for the remote. I like that the Fox DPS has 3 settings, vs the Monarch XX is more XC race oriented with two options: lockout and open. Anyone have any experience using the Monarch XX? Looks like older tech compared to the newer Fox Float DPS. Any other shock I should consider?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Well, I'd argue that depends on what frame it's going on, what shock tune it is, etc.

A shock tune designed for a completely different frame isn't going to feel that good on your bike.

That said, the DPS on my Yeti ASRc is wonderful. I never take it off the middle setting. Very little if any bob, but full travel when I need it. Perfect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PanaRob

by PanaRob

Thanks for the feedback on the DPS. I have a Monarch RT3 on it now. It's going on a niner Jet 9 which is for aggressive XC / marathon. Have a Fox Float 120mm in front which is great for trips to North GA and Pisgah, NC.

Maybe I'll move this to the Niner forum on MTBR

Curious George

by Curious George

I've had a Niner Jet 9 RDO in the past... brilliant bike rode it to a world age group 24hr title and two national titles.
However.... they are not designed for remote rear lock-out with not routing and they don't work with internal droppers.
You could look at using the stick-on tabs to route the cabling though.
I've used the newer fox shock and really rate it.

Kristinka

by Kristinka

I love 3 pos Fox DPS on my Trek Top Fuel. I ride mostly on Trail position and fully open on longer and fast downhills. Locking very rarely. If you want to go light then DT Swiss X313 Carbon could be an option.
Attachments
shox_DTSwiss_X313_200x50_2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dirtperson666

by Dirtperson666

The dps is a better shock than the XX. It's so tuneable and performs so well, I ran one on an ibis Ripley and it blew me away. Totally soaked up trail chatter, felt like an extra boost off jumps and ramped up perfectly on the trail that I never felt like I was sinking into the travel when I got out of the saddle.
The xx is much more linear. Still does a solid job at smoothing the trail, but its less trail oriented and really made to just be an "on/off" shock for racing. At that point id go with the Dt swiss carbon. It's lighter and will perform just as well, if not better.