100 road miles on an XC bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wheely

by Wheely

Every year my work does a big sponsored road ride of about 100 miles, covering the route used in the Devon stage of Tour de Britain.

Now I have an uber-light XC mountain bike (with full lockouts) I was thinking of putting some smooth rubber on it and joining in. Everyone up until now has always done it on road bikes - so would be good to buck the trend.

It's not a race although there's usually 2 groups split into faster and slower riders.

Anyone else done this kind of thing on their MTB ??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

babylou

by babylou

I've done the same distance on a heavy 26" full susser with inefficient Specialized Armadillo tires.

thprice

by thprice

A good friend of mine only has a 29 Mtb bike with road tyres on it. He regularly rides 400 km in a day.
If you can go the distance, go for it on the XC and have fun. :D

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I regularly do that on shonky low level 26" rental hardtails.....it's harder work but really not an issue.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

stockae92

by stockae92

I rode my MTB 29er HT on road from time to time. My "problem" with it is that I run out of gear, I am running 1X XT.

Otherwise I have no problem with it. I just don't expect to break my PR on road bike with that. :D

mrclownprince

by mrclownprince

I do paris 2 ancaster bike race every year on a 26 inch mountain bike. All the top riders are riding Cross bikes. Make sure you have descent gearing (at least a triple crank). If you are 1x on the front you may need a bigger gear. Being the race is done on cross bikes, I always race it on Shwalbe CX Pro tires, it's a cross tire in 26" form. That will keep your rolling resistance down.

Bar ends also help for getting different riding positions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com