100 road miles on an XC bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wheely

by Wheely

Every year my work does a big sponsored road ride of about 100 miles, covering the route used in the Devon stage of Tour de Britain.

Now I have an uber-light XC mountain bike (with full lockouts) I was thinking of putting some smooth rubber on it and joining in. Everyone up until now has always done it on road bikes - so would be good to buck the trend.

It's not a race although there's usually 2 groups split into faster and slower riders.

Anyone else done this kind of thing on their MTB ??

babylou

by babylou

I've done the same distance on a heavy 26" full susser with inefficient Specialized Armadillo tires.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thprice

by thprice

A good friend of mine only has a 29 Mtb bike with road tyres on it. He regularly rides 400 km in a day.
If you can go the distance, go for it on the XC and have fun. :D

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I regularly do that on shonky low level 26" rental hardtails.....it's harder work but really not an issue.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

stockae92

by stockae92

I rode my MTB 29er HT on road from time to time. My "problem" with it is that I run out of gear, I am running 1X XT.

Otherwise I have no problem with it. I just don't expect to break my PR on road bike with that. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrclownprince

by mrclownprince

I do paris 2 ancaster bike race every year on a 26 inch mountain bike. All the top riders are riding Cross bikes. Make sure you have descent gearing (at least a triple crank). If you are 1x on the front you may need a bigger gear. Being the race is done on cross bikes, I always race it on Shwalbe CX Pro tires, it's a cross tire in 26" form. That will keep your rolling resistance down.

Bar ends also help for getting different riding positions.