Thinking about returning from 1x to 2x

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

szymonef

by szymonef

I've had half a racing season with 1x. After that went back to 2x10 and ... what a relief. For sure, now that Eagle exists, 1x12 can be enough, but still, it's soo expensive. I prefer to stay with 2x10. Reliable, cheaper with maintenance and equally good working. Weight penalty? No more than half a weight of water bottle, so who cares?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

mattr wrote:More about LeDukes insistence that 25 is going "to take some doing". Not really. It's a fairly regular occurrence in XCO/M racing round here. It has been since my first forays into XC, 25 years ago.

On flat gravel, no wind, you're looking at a pretty healthy power output to go 25mph.

The ONLY time I ever approach speeds north of 25mph is on fast, steep downhills. And I'm not pedaling then, because catching a pedal on a rock or root would send me into a ravine.

But, my XCO races are nearly 100% singletrack.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

LeDuke wrote:On flat gravel, no wind, you're looking at a pretty healthy power output to go 25mph.
Quick scribble suggests in the range of 340-360 watts, maybe a handful more. Not that excessive for a racer. And a lot of the tracks/trails we use round here are (very) hardpacked earth and rock. Some are better than some of the tarmaced roads, just narrower.

Unless of course you mean pea gravel instead of hardpacked stuff. Then even 5000 watts is going to get you nowhere. Except into the nearest tree............ ;)

I guess it's just a reflection on what the terrain and surfaces are like where you are.

I've done some XC courses where the longest straight bit of track is the 50m start straight, and the only solid bit of ground within 20 miles is where you left your car. Neither of those scenarios will see 25mph, or 25kph for that matter.

Snabb

by Snabb

Marathon races often have sections with tarmac/asphalt or gravel roads and when you are in a pack the speeds can go up. I have been in races where the speeds are 60 km/h+ shorter sections on gravel. I ride 32 and 10-42 but have tried a 34 a couple of seasons ago. For training/riding or xc 32 is enough.
Ride lots!

mattr

by mattr

Snabb wrote:I have been in races where the speeds are 60 km/h+ shorter sections on gravel.
Probably the same races as me ;)

But i was only doing 50....... (fitness restricted these days, not gear ratio!)

mrclownprince

by mrclownprince

mattr wrote:
LeDuke wrote:How are you spinning out?

32x10 on 29x2.2s is 25mph.
25mph at ~90rpm (you missed out the important bit)

and 25mph is (for me) probably half a dozen times a race (mostly marathons not XCO) last XCO race i hit 35 on the start straight, long smooth, slightly downhill and going for the hole shot (successfully i might add)

but then again, spinning out for me is nearer 140rpm (i can pedal faster, but not much point)

Personally i don't like 1x due to the ratio jumps, the range is there now, since the advent of the 11-46 and 10-50 cassettes.
But i'd probably need 15 or 16 steps to eliminate the jumps......

I agree with you that 1x sometimes has too big ratio jumps. I remember zooming by people in a race with my 3 x 9 (road cassette) because of the better ratios for acceleration.

Liggero

by Liggero

If you wanna go 1x, go sram or go home; the 10t cog is a must, and the 50t rear eagle cog is a must too. Then put a 34 or even 36t ring on the front.

Shimano 1x is useless, better go 2x in that case.
Happy Trails !!!

Liggero

by Liggero

mrclownprince wrote:
mattr wrote:
LeDuke wrote:How are you spinning out?

32x10 on 29x2.2s is 25mph.
25mph at ~90rpm (you missed out the important bit)

and 25mph is (for me) probably half a dozen times a race (mostly marathons not XCO) last XCO race i hit 35 on the start straight, long smooth, slightly downhill and going for the hole shot (successfully i might add)

but then again, spinning out for me is nearer 140rpm (i can pedal faster, but not much point)

Personally i don't like 1x due to the ratio jumps, the range is there now, since the advent of the 11-46 and 10-50 cassettes.
But i'd probably need 15 or 16 steps to eliminate the jumps......

I agree with you that 1x sometimes has too big ratio jumps. I remember zooming by people in a race with my 3 x 9 (road cassette) because of the better ratios for acceleration.

3x9 with a road cassette is the best ever drivetrain for mountainbike; 90% of the time in the middle ring, so no front shifting really, not like 2x always shifting, and the rear cassette is very light and with small jumps.

Only problem with 3x9 is that it's too old thing, so there is no novelty, and that is awful for bike shops and drivetrain companies. Those bastards do not make money with 3x9, not to mention the cassettes last 2 times more and are 2 times cheaper... *f##k* capitalism.
Happy Trails !!!

F45

by F45

Shimano 2x11 with their rhythm step gearing is the best ever. Stay in the big ring like a 1x until a steep section or long climb then drop into the small ring. Over the top, hit the big ring instead of furiously clicking the rear cogs. Side swing FD so smooth.

Dirtperson666

by Dirtperson666

I think the 2x is really underrated versus the simplicity of the 1x systems. That being said, I'm on 1x and do mostly 6 hour and 100 mile races where the 2x would really be useful. The snychro shift di2 2x set up is sort of the best of all worlds.
I run a 32-36 oval depending on the course and I'm always left wanting at either the top or bottom end at some point. Doesn't stop me from doing well.. just leaving a bit to be desired especially on those long gravel sections.