XC Racing Rims?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I want a set of MCFK rims, but I'll have to get them from across the pond (R2bike).
I reached out to Ergott for a set of I9 hubs laced to NOX rims. His pricing is so good, I'm going to have to skip on the MCFK stuff! haha
I just really like the shiny 3k weave of the MCFK rims. Make your bike pop!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Denavelo wrote:I want a set of MCFK rims, but I'll have to get them from across the pond (R2bike).
I reached out to Ergott for a set of I9 hubs laced to NOX rims. His pricing is so good, I'm going to have to skip on the MCFK stuff! haha
I just really like the shiny 3k weave of the MCFK rims. Make your bike pop!

I'm curious why the I9 hubs. Are you using their spokes or J-bend? If alloy spokes I'm curious how their weight compares to CX-Rays. If J-bend, aren't the hubs heavier than DT 240s? I find the I9 freehub overly loud and draggier than ideal (kind of par for quick-engagement freehubs). They have a following in the "colored hubs with quick engagement and a cool freewheel noise" aftermarket but since they started coming stock on Santa Cruz and Ibis I've had a lot of customers ask me to quiet them down. Frequent greasing with Slick Honey (it's the slipperiest grease I know) helps and I9 said you can remove 3 of the pawls to double the degrees of engagement and reduce drag. That's how their road hubs come stock.

KWalker

by KWalker

I would use I9 on a trail bike, but nothing where speed was a priority. Colored hubs are cool on Instagram.

I'm going Carbon-Ti on my road build as well and FWB can anodize them purple for $120.... Have gold ones for my MTB build sitting with Ergott.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Who's the contact at FWB for anodizing?
Our local guy closed shop.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

KWalker wrote:I would use I9 on a trail bike, but nothing where speed was a priority. Colored hubs are cool on Instagram.

I'm going Carbon-Ti on my road build as well and FWB can anodize them purple for $120.... Have gold ones for my MTB build sitting with Ergott.

I'm actually going with Carbon Ti hubs..
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

LeDuke wrote:Perhaps not what you're looking for, but two pre-built wheels that come to mind:

The new Roval Control SLs. 25mm internal, 1330g. DT Swiss hubs.

The Bontrager Kovee XXXs. 29mm internal, 1390 for the set, DT 240s.

Buy the wheels, swap in new hubs and spokes if that suits you.

If you swapped in some Extralite hubs, you'd be looking at 25 or 29mm ID wheels at a sub-1300g weight. That's not too shabby.

The Roval Control SLs are 22 mm internal according to the Specialized website? Or are you talking about a newer wheelset?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

the_marsbar wrote:
LeDuke wrote:Perhaps not what you're looking for, but two pre-built wheels that come to mind:

The new Roval Control SLs. 25mm internal, 1330g. DT Swiss hubs.

The Bontrager Kovee XXXs. 29mm internal, 1390 for the set, DT 240s.

Buy the wheels, swap in new hubs and spokes if that suits you.

If you swapped in some Extralite hubs, you'd be looking at 25 or 29mm ID wheels at a sub-1300g weight. That's not too shabby.

The Roval Control SLs are 22 mm internal according to the Specialized website? Or are you talking about a newer wheelset?

Newer wheelset. There was a release article on Bike Radar or the like that was up for a few hours then got taken down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I see :) That makes sense.

I'm still happy with my Mcfk rims. If I were to replace those I would only be interested in the Kovees.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

It's back up.

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... iew-51029/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

nunokas

by nunokas

Any impressions on the new tune blackburner XC?
Not the lightest (the skylines have that title) but they look hot :)

xyklisten

by xyklisten

I´ll give a review of the MCFK rims when I get my new wheelset :) Waiting on a nice set with Carbon-ti hubs.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

xyklisten wrote:I´ll give a review of the MCFK rims when I get my new wheelset :) Waiting on a nice set with Carbon-ti hubs.

I'll be interested in hearing that. Is the general consensus that Carbon-Ti hubs slot in between Extralite and DT 240 as more durable but heavier than Extralite while being lighter than 240s? I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble with the Extralites and I should take the small weight penalty with the Carbon-Ti.

KWalker

by KWalker

From my conversations with Ergott and others- yes, take the penalty. Unless you love cleaning and adjusting hubs every few rides.

In terms of cost, weight, and quality the Ergott Carbon-Ti/Nox combo is pretty damn hard to beat right now. The Roval Controls have been great for me, but are slightly heavier and I've hard a weird issue with my newer set going out of true easily.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I was waiting for Light Bicycle to ship my 29er rims (22mm, 360g) and happened to notice on the website that they now have a "Flyweight" version at 280g. I got them to change the order so now my wheelset with Carbon-Ti and CX-Rays should be 1139g! The new version costs $100 more per rim but has the same weight limit and implies equal strength and stiffness in the description.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Lelandjt wrote:I was waiting for Light Bicycle to ship my 29er rims (22mm, 360g) and happened to notice on the website that they now have a "Flyweight" version at 280g. I got them to change the order so now my wheelset with Carbon-Ti and CX-Rays should be 1139g! The new version costs $100 more per rim but has the same weight limit and implies equal strength and stiffness in the description.

Amazing, are there any comparable rims lighter than that? Gullholm's 77 Composites are 303g, R2 quotes Bike Ahead rim as 295g and Newmen as 298g. I'm going to email LB and ask if any road rims gonna get Flyweight treatment too.

Edit:
Hi Илья,

This is Carolin from Light Bicycle. Thanks for your inquiry.

For the flyweight RM29C06, the max weight limit is still 100kg. We might manufacture the flyweight road rim in the future, but it's hard to tell the availability of time frame.

Cheers,
Carolin