Light Boost Hubs

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I'm looking for Boost hubs with J-bend flanges, Center Lock, and XD driver that are lighter than DT 240s. Any suggestions besides DT 180? Anything cheap and Asian (that's not heavier than 240s)?
Last edited by Lelandjt on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Lelandjt wrote:I'm looking for Boost hubs with J-bend flanges, Center Lock, and XD driver that are lighter than DT 240s. Any suggestions besides DT 180? Anything cheap and Asian (that's not heavier than 240s)?

IIRC, Fairwheel Bikes did a pretty thorough hub review recently. Check it out. I think it reviews quite a few nice hubs.

I think some of the pricey euro hubs are in it, along with DT, King, WHite, etc.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tilf

by tilf

Lelandjt wrote:I'm looking for Boost hubs with J-bend flanges, Center Lock, and XD driver that are lighter than DT 240s. Any suggestions besides DT 180? Anything cheap and Asian (that's not heavier than 240s)?

Those requirements pretty much lock you into DT or WI. You are marrying SRAM land (XD/Boost) with Shimano (Centerlock).

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Now I'm easing up on the J-bend and centerlock requirements and considering the Exfralite Hyper Boost hubs.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Okay, I'm now down to Extralite Hyperboost or Carbon-Ti SP Boost. Extralite is a little lighter and two people on here said they like their's but one person warned they aren't sealed well enough to handle the MTB environment and he recommended Carbon-Ti. Any input?

marecej

by marecej

tune?
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Among the 3 brands Tune seems to have the worst reputation for durability so I left it out. Maybe weak freehub pawls? I like that the Extralite Hyper2 is the lightest. Its weakness seems to be aluminum parts in the freehub mechanism will get ground down if dirt gets in and isn't cleaned out. This doesn't seem like a problem for me since I regrease my freehubs pretty often (it's quick and easy so why not). Carbon-Ti is a little heavier but maybe better sealed or steel freehub guts?

marecej

by marecej

I think that was problem like 5 years ago with tune freehubs, haven't heard about it for a long time
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

gtinut

by gtinut

Soul Kozak

Kristinka

by Kristinka

Lelandjt wrote:Among the 3 brands Tune seems to have the worst reputation for durability so I left it out. Maybe weak freehub pawls? I like that the Extralite Hyper2 is the lightest. Its weakness seems to be aluminum parts in the freehub mechanism will get ground down if dirt gets in and isn't cleaned out. This doesn't seem like a problem for me since I regrease my freehubs pretty often (it's quick and easy so why not). Carbon-Ti is a little heavier but maybe better sealed or steel freehub guts?

The ratchet engagement Alu parts in Extralite rear hubs are replaceable. But you are right. The seals are weaker so cleaning more often is necessary for better longevity.
http://www.extralite.com/Products/Hyper%20JR.htm

marcelnz

by marcelnz

tantra

by tantra

I am using Extralite boost hubs with Enve M50 rims on my Ripley LS. No troubles at all with these hubs so far.

Kristinka

by Kristinka

Lelandjt wrote:Okay, I'm now down to Extralite Hyperboost or Carbon-Ti SP Boost. Extralite is a little lighter and two people on here said they like their's but one person warned they aren't sealed well enough to handle the MTB environment and he recommended Carbon-Ti. Any input?

After more 1 year, my Extralite HyperBoost hubs works great. I have put them through several rainy and muddy marathon races. Carefull power wash after each of them. They are still holding great. Very well sealed. Checked regularly. No water or mud inside after the muddy events.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com