Road Stuff on my MTB

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

northy185

by northy185

Hello,

I'll be racing singlespeed exclusively this season, but sometimes I want to put the rigid bike away and play ride on my full suspension bike. Since all of my riding will be done in Minnesota this summer, which is very flat, I want nice, tight steps. I currently have it set up with m9000, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with a conversion like this. I'm willing to throw some parts at this project to make it work, but at the same time, I'm not trying to spend a fortune on this project. Thanks for your help!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Works fine, you just need a cassette, however be aware that 11 speed road cassettes need a wider freehub as the largest sprocket can't overhang the hub like they do on an MTB, so if you have an MTB hub you will need a new hub or wheel.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Marin

by Marin

Get old 10speed stuff? For Sram, road and MTB components are even compatible ("Exact actuation") and the cassettes will fit on your MTB freehub.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

As their is no suggestion he's going to drop bars that comment is rather irrelevant really, plus Shimano do flat bar shifters for their road mechs (although an MTB mech would work fine) as well.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Geoff

by Geoff

I have my MTB set-up with Campagnolo Record. I run Avid mechanical discs and it works just fine. You could run it with a Di2 'cross-style' brake set-up, too, and that would work even better.

grover

by grover

As said an 11 speed road cassette won't fit straight onto your freehub body. What rear hub do you have? You may be able to change it too an 11 speed road freehub body so you can fit a road cassette.

If you can't change the freehub body then some options to suit your current freehub body
1- an Edco Monoblock cassette which is 11 speed but fits on 10 speed freehubs.
2- buy a modified 11 speed shimano cassette (or get one modified)
3- run an 11 speed cassette as 10 speed by removing one cog.
Some info - http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Your M9000 derailleur may not work well with the tight spacing as it won't follow the cassette closely enough. If you find that to be the case you can use an 11 speed road rear derailleur in conjunction with a Jtek Shiftmate number 8. http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-8/

Another option would be to just put a 10 speed road cassette on and test. The cog spacing is very close and the shift quality may be acceptable to you.

ooo

by ooo

Token Zenith 11sp road cassette can be installed on any 9/10 mtb hubs (shimano mtb hub is ok)

http://www.tokenproducts.com/comps/drivetrain/11-10-cassette
11:10 Cassette Zenith
TK1123 : 11-23: 158 g / set
TK1125 : 11-25: 170 g / set
TK1128 : 11-28: 185 g / set

Shimano 11sp road cassette can be installed on some non-shimano 9/10 mtb hubs like mavic (shimano mtb hub is not ok)
Attachments
token-zenith-11-10.jpg
Token Zenith 11:10 Cassette Zenith - big cog placement similar to shimano 11sp mtb cassette
'

by Weenie